[net.auto] Advice on buying a Jeep?

keeler@sdsioa.UUCP (Mike Keeler) (06/22/85)

I'm considering buying a Jeep, probably a CJ-7. Anybody
gots any comments, info, whatever?. And is the mileage
really that bad? Are there any alternatives?

Mike Keeler
..sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdsioa!keeler

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (06/23/85)

In article <124@sdsioa.UUCP> keeler@sdsioa.UUCP (Mike Keeler) writes:
>I'm considering buying a Jeep, probably a CJ-7. Anybody
>gots any comments, info, whatever?. And is the mileage
>really that bad? Are there any alternatives?
>
>Mike Keeler
>..sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdsioa!keeler

I am on my second CJ-7 in 3 years.  I traded the first (a rag-top) because it
was CONSTANTLY being vandalized.  The second is a hard top, which keeps the
little (or big) jerks away.

Milage: about 17 mpg
Noise: Rag-top, high; tank-top, low
Comfort: Moderate (If you want confort, buy a luxury car)
Handling: Remember, Jeeps don't roll over, drivers roll Jeeps over.
Utility: INFINATE!  There is a certain smug feeling of superiority in pulling
	 a friend out of a snow-bank, who has been bad mouthing your Jeep the
	 rest of the year.
Cautions: Have had problems with clutch bolts shearing off, throw-out bearing
	 failure (the '82), tint on rear window being burned off by rear
	 defroster and water leaks ('85).
Recommendations:  Buy the 5 year protection plan.  It is also nice to have a
	second car for when the Jeep is not entirely appropriate.
"If I had it to do over": I would have gotten A/C with the hard-top.

			WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!

		The Roll Bar is not there for decoration!

parnass@ihu1h.UUCP (Bob Parnass, AJ9S) (06/24/85)

> I'm considering buying a Jeep, probably a CJ-7. Anybody
> gots any comments, info, whatever?. And is the mileage
> really that bad? Are there any alternatives?
>
> Mike Keeler
> ..sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdsioa!keeler

     In	1974, I	bought a new Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8,  which  I
     drove  for	 the  next  6  years.	The CJ7	has a longer
     wheelbase,	so some	of my comments may not apply to	your
     situation.

     The CJ5 was fun to	drive in the woods, but	had  a	pun-
     ishing  ride on the road.	The internal noise level was
     very high,	even after I got rid of	the  noisy  Goodyear
     Suburbanite tires that Jeep supplied.  I firmly believe
     that six years of driving	this  Jeep,  even  with	 the
     steel  roof  and  quiet  Goodyear Tracker AT tires, has
     contributed to a permanent, partial hearing loss.

     The 'Erector Set' construction of the CJ5	made  servi-
     cing  easy,  but  it  consistently	 leaked	in the rain.
     Even though I took	immaculate care	of the	Jeep,  chan-
     ging  oil	every 2000 miles or so,	the engine needed to
     be	replaced after only 32,000 miles.

     I've avoided AMC products since.  My  1980	 full  sized
     4wd  Chevy	 Blazer	has been much more reliable and	cer-
     tainly more comfortable.

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

jeepcj2a@fluke.UUCP (Dale Chaudiere) (06/26/85)

> > I'm considering buying a Jeep, probably a CJ-7. Anybody
> > gots any comments, info, whatever?. And is the mileage
> > really that bad? Are there any alternatives?
> >
> > Mike Keeler
> > ..sdcsvax!sdcc3!sdsioa!keeler
>
>      In	1974, I	bought a new Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8,  which  I
>      drove  for	 the  next  6  years.	The CJ7	has a longer
>      wheelbase,	so some	of my comments may not apply to	your
>      situation.
>
>      The CJ5 was fun to	drive in the woods, but	had  a	pun-
>      ishing  ride on the road.	The internal noise level was
>      very high,	even after I got rid of	the  noisy  Goodyear
>      Suburbanite tires that Jeep supplied.  I firmly believe
>      that six years of driving	this  Jeep,  even  with	 the
>      steel  roof  and  quiet  Goodyear Tracker AT tires, has
>      contributed to a permanent, partial hearing loss.

True

>      The 'Erector Set' construction of the CJ5	made  servi-
>      cing  easy,  but  it  consistently	 leaked	in the rain.
>      Even though I took	immaculate care	of the	Jeep,  chan-
>      ging  oil	every 2000 miles or so,	the engine needed to
>      be	replaced after only 32,000 miles.

I don't like AMC engines either.  If I heard right though, the 4 banger offered
in the CJ7 is the good old (very reliable) IRON DUKE Pontiac design.  I also
have heard reasonable gas mileage figures with this engine and a manual trans.

I have owned my CJ for ten years.  It is excellent for what it was
designed for.  The narrow width, high ride, and short wheel base are excellent
for maneuvering in the mountains here in the northwest.  I also like soft tops.

Bottom line;  If you are just looking for a Boulevard Four-Wheeler, don't buy
a CJ!