[comp.archives] [comp.os.msdos.programmer] Re: Intel 386 C

dj@ctron.com (DJ Delorie) (06/17/91)

Archive-name: gnu/g++/djgpp/1991-06-14
Archive: grape.ecs.clarkson.edu:/pub/msdos/djgpp/djgpp.zip [128.153.28.129]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <1991Jun13.231255.7781@proto.com>, doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) writes:
> >>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
> >>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
> >>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
> >[...stuff deleted...]
> >your application upon linking.  The DOS extender will recognize up
> >to 16Mb of extended RAM and can be set up to use up to 4Gb of disk
> >space for virtual memory.  Perhaps the nicest thing about the DOS
> >extender is that Intel requires NO royalties for distribution of
> >executables unlike Phar Lap and Ergo.  The DOS extender is DPMI
> >compliant which means that it runs just fine under a Windows DOS box
> >when you're in 386 enhanced mode.  Speed wise, the impression I've
> >[...stuff deleted...]
> >some reason which I haven't looked into yet.  Price wise, compared
> >to Watcom 386 and a DOS extender and royalties you just can't beat
> >the price of the Intel package.
>
> Package price is about $600 via mail order houses, about $700 direct
> from Zortech.
>
> >discalimer:  I have no connection with Intel except for a $500 hole
> >in my Visa card.

*I* can beat the Intel price . . .

For those of you that can't handle holes in your Visa card, you can
always get my GCC/G++ 32-bit compiler for NO CHARGE.  You can wrap the
extender in the executable, handle up to 128M physical/128M paging,
and the sources come with it (take *that*, Intel!).  You can avoid
royalties if you choose to follow the GNU GPL conditions, or opt for
the very minimal royalty schedule.

Supports himem.sys, but no vcpi or dpmi (yet).

To get via anonymous FTP:

  grape.ecs.clarkson.edu  pub/msdos/djgpp

To get via MAIL:

  mail archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu
  Subject: <none>
  help
  index msdos/djgpp
  send msdos/djgpp readme

To get via mail order ($150 for six floppies, manuals, support):

  Austin Code Works
  11100 Leafwood Lane
  Austin TX 78750-3464
  1-512-258-0785

DJ
dj@ctron.com

-- comp.archives file verification
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
-rw-r--r--   1 archives archives 2134610 May 10 09:31 /pub/msdos/djgpp/djgpp.zip
found djgpp ok
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu:/pub/msdos/djgpp/djgpp.zip