[comp.archives] [sci.lang] Re: Native Languages Mailing List

gst@spdcc.COM (Gary S. Trujillo) (06/17/91)

Archive-name: sci/linguistics/nn-lang-archives/1991-06-14
Archive: uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu:/linguist/nn-lang.tar.Z [128.171.7.2]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

In article <7833@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us I write:

> I have just received an inquiry about the native languages mailing list that
> I operate, so I thought I should post an article on sci.lang to say a bit
> more about it...

If you have ftp access, you might want to take advantage of a one week
opportunity to pick up the initial articles from this mailing list, thanks
to David Stampe at the University of Hawaii.

( N.B.: the "native.lang" conference is available only at IGC/APC hosts,
  like PeaceNet/EcoNet/GreenNet/Pegasus/Fredsnaetet, etc.)

Newsgroups: native.lang
From: David Stampe  <uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu!stampe>
Subject: nn.lang archive postings temporarily available by anonymous ftp
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1991 20:29:05 GMT

Subscribers with hosts on the Internet can get an archive of back
numbers 00-51 of nn.lang by anonymous ftp on uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu.
The file is in the directory "linguist/" and is called nn-lang.tar.Z .
It will be available only for a week or two, after which uhccux is
being unplugged.

To ftp the archive, give the (shell) command:
	ftp uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Answer the login prompt with:
	anonymous
and the password prompt with anything, or as a courtesy, your email address:
	PASSWORD
Once logged in, connect to the linguist directory:
	cd linguist
Use the binary setting for the transfer:
	binary
Then ask for the archive file:
	get nn-lang.tar.Z
When the transfer is complete (64863 bytes), log out of uhccux,
disconnect, and quit ftp:
	bye

To unpack the archive into a directory, make a directory DIR.  On unix:
	mkdir DIR
Connect to the directory.  On unix:
	cd DIR
Uncompress (zcat) and unarchive (tar xf) the archive:
	zcat ../nn-lang.tar.Z | tar xvf -
Or in two steps:
	uncompress ../nn-lang.tar.Z
	tar xvf nn-lang.tar

The result should be a directory DIR/ containing files 00 through 51,
totalling 120430 bytes.  Plus the archive file ../nn-lang.tar(.Z), which
you can delete.  Unless you'd like to put it somewhere accessible by
anonymous ftp on YOUR host machine, and announce it here.

David Stampe <stampe@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, <stampe@uhccux.bitnet>
      ---->  <stampe@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, <stampe@uhunix.bitnet>
Dept. of Linguistics, Univ. of Hawaii/Manoa, Honolulu HI 96822
--
    Gary S. Trujillo                             gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts               {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

-- comp.archives file verification
uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
-rw-r--r--  1 533      98          64863 Jun 14 09:26 /linguist/nn-lang.tar.Z
found nn-lang-archives ok
uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu:/linguist/nn-lang.tar.Z