[comp.archives] [gnu.emacs.sources...] Re: GNU Emacs PostScript Manual.

salsbury@acsu.buffalo.edu (The Caterpillar Cannot Understand The Butterfly) (06/21/91)

Archive-name: gnu/emacs/gnu-emacs-manual/1991-06-20
Archive: ab20.larc.nasa.gov:/pub/docs/emacs-18.57.PS.Z [128.155.23.64]
Reposted-by: emv@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti, MSEN)

suresh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Suresh Venkateswaran) writes:

>	I am searching for the latest GNU Emacs Reference Manual in
>	PostScript format. The documentation I currently have is dated
>	October 1986.
>--
>	Suresh Venkateswaran
>	CAD Support, AMCU (Circuits)
>	Motorola Inc., Austin.

	From the EMACS FAQ file. (Great stuff! :)  )
9: How do I find out how to do something in GNU Emacs?

  There are several methods for finding out how to do things in Emacs.

  You should become familiar with the online documentation for Emacs.  The
  complete text of the Emacs manual is available online in a hypertext
  format via the "Info" manual reader.  Type "C-h i" to invoke Info.

  You can order a hardcopy of the manual from the FSF.  See question 12.

  You can get a printed reference card listing commands and keys to invoke
  them.  You can order one from the FSF for $1 (or 10 for $5), or you can
  print your own from the etc/refcard.tex file in the Emacs distribution.

12: How do I get a printed copy of the GNU Emacs manual?

  You can order a printed copy of the GNU Emacs manual from the FSF for
  $20.  For 6 or more manuals the price is $13 each.

  The full TeX source for the manual also comes in the "man" directory of
  the Emacs distribution, if you're daring enough to try to print out this
  300 page manual yourself.  If you order it from the FSF, the price may
  be tax-deductible as a business expense.)

  If you absolutely have to print your own copy, and you don't have TeX,
  you can get a PostScript version via anonymous FTP
  (ab20.larc.nasa.gov:/pub/docs/emacs-18.57.PS.Z, size: 466K, also
  cs.ubc.ca:/src/gnu/manuals_ps/emacs-18.57.ps.Z, which site requests that
  you please CONFINE ANY MAJOR FTPING TO LATE EVENINGS OR EARLY MORNINGS
  OUR TIME (pacific time zone, GMT-8)).

  If you don't have TeX you can convert the Texinfo sources into
  {t,n,ps}roff format with the "texi2roff" program, which is available via
  anonymous FTP (tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/gnu/texi2roff/texi2roff.shar.Z)

  Carl Witty <cwitty@cs.stanford.edu> writes:

  The Emacs manual is also available online in the Info system, which is
  available by typing "C-h i".  In this form, it has hypertext links and
  is very easy to browse or search; many people prefer it to the printed
  manual.

							-Pat
      Patrick G. Salsbury		           V291NHTP@UBVMS (Bitnet)
State University of NY @ Buffalo, USA	          SALSBURY@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU
			   Disclaimers are silly. ;^)

-- comp.archives file verification
ab20.larc.nasa.gov
-rw-rw-r--  1 tadguy     466029 Feb 13 16:34 /pub/docs/emacs-18.57.PS.Z
found gnu-emacs-manual ok
ab20.larc.nasa.gov:/pub/docs/emacs-18.57.PS.Z