[can.usrgroup] Telebit Backbone

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) (11/24/88)

I am looking for systems that HAVE a Telebit Trailblazer Plus (I'm also
(less) interested in 2400 bps sites) and :

a) Currently carry long distance MAIL (not news) traffic to different
	regions of Canada, via phone (Telebit or lower speed).
or

b) Are well connected locally/regionally and would be willing to be
	polled several times a day from Toronto in order to improve
	delivery of MAIL (not news) across the country.
or

c) Are willing to change to meet criterion b.
or

d) Are isolated & would like to be connected up to one of the sites in
	category a or b.

I am particularly looking for sites in the Maritimes, Quebec, the
Prairies, British Columbia, and the Territories; my impression is that
Ontario is already pretty well connected.

This is a feasibility question at this stage.  Universities whose main
connections are via Netnorth or Onet probably need not apply, as they
are not SUPPOSED to be carrying commercial traffic over those
networks.  (Although if you have a mailer smart enough to differentiate
commercial traffic from research/educational and hold the former for
UUCP while sending the latter over the research network, then I'm
certainly interested.)  Also I'd like to know if your company is
likely to (be able to) join NRCNet.

Thanks	../Dave

(Please send mail, that's the 'r' key :-)

(P.S. The reason I'm not interested in news is that the volumes are
too large, and a reasonable case can be made for the universities
carrying news over the high-speed, fixed cost networks, and
distributing it locally.  This is happening more (and I hope MORE).)

paul@moore.UUCP (Paul Maclauchlan) (11/24/88)

I must apologize.  My automatic map handling script nuked my paths file
last night and Dave's message got (mostly) bounced back to him (x many).

I've rebuilt the file and resent this message.  Now it will probably be
reposted to the newsgroup as well.

Sorry some of you are seeing this many times... at least it is something
important and interesting.  :-)
--
.../Paul Maclauchlan
Moore Corporation Limited, Toronto, Ontario (416) 364-2600

Newsgroups: can.general,can.usrgroup,can.uucp
Subject: Telebit Backbone