[can.usrgroup] election fever

sonia@fricker.uucp (Sonia Fricker Brock) (05/26/89)

Election fever in the larger group has interfered with the
autonomy of uu.  Those persons involved in the democratic process
are also those persons who have assumed a leadership role in uu.

Do we wait for them to go sane again or (oh, golly) start our own
election process for the smaller group to obtain a mandate to prevent
future interferences with the regular meetings.

Sounds like a Catch 22 to me!

The last meeting was pretty o.k.  The good guys left earlier after
2 second spot announcements of candidacy.  It was sad to see the
extent of the polarization however.

sonia@fricker

!uunet!attcan!telly!moore!fricker!sonia

!uunet!mnetor!becker!fricker!sonia

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (05/27/89)

In article <247cb2b2@fricker.uucp>,
Sonia Fricker Brock <sonia@fricker.uucp> writes:

>Election fever in the larger group has interfered with the
>autonomy of uu.

I can't speak for the others who went, but for me that was a one-shot.
The bunch of us thought it was important enough to take such measures,
and in retrospect I feel it was very worthwhile. (Thanks, guys).

Not all of us can come easily gather downtown more often than two nights
per month.

As for the 'autonomy' of UU, well, I've been burned more than once on that
subject, so I'll let someone else deal with it :-)

>Those persons involved in the democratic process
>are also those persons who have assumed a leadership role in uu.

I certainly hope you don't think that's a problem. As I've posted
before, I'm quite sick of the /u/g/c status quo. Judging from our
conversations, I don't think most of the other UU candidates are
too crazy with it, either.

>Do we wait for them to go sane again

Don't hold your breath on that one :-)

>or (oh, golly) start our own
>election process for the smaller group to obtain a mandate to prevent
>future interferences with the regular meetings.

As I said, that was a one-time thing. You're welcome to do elections,
but trust me, they ain't pretty :-\.

>The last meeting was pretty o.k.  The good guys left earlier after
>2 second spot announcements of candidacy.  It was sad to see the
>extent of the polarization however.

Polarization between what and what? I would like to think that my
interest in UU and its people isn't prone to "it's us or them" kind
of loyalties.

Having UU enthusiasts as a majority of the board of the wealthiest
Unix user group in the country, should not be considered a Bad Thing.
--

Evan Leibovitch, SA, Telly Online, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
   evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504