[net.auto] Sturdy Subaru

jeb@eisx.UUCP (Jim Beckman) (07/03/85)

> From: lorien@mhuxn.UUCP (CONWAY)
> We currently have a 1981 Subaru wagon with almost 60,000 miles
>   . . .                                       In addition, when the car
> was only a couple of months old, we were hit head on by a Pontiac Grand Am
> (I think that's what they call the big Pontiac) at about 35 MPH.  The
> car held up remarkably well with only a headlight and  a piece of the
> grill knocked out, and a very slight crease in the metal around the headlight.

Remarkable!!!  But a little unlikely.  At that rate you should be
able to take on the proverbial brick wall at 25 or so with no damage!
Even Ralph Nader might be willing to drive a car like that.  Are you
sure you didn't mean 3.5 mph?

Jim Beckman   AT&T-ISL, South Plainfield, NJ       eisx!jeb

ewa@sdcc3.UUCP (Eric Anderson) (07/07/85)

Re: The 35 MPH collision... There is a big difference between hitting a
stationary brick wall and another car. The car can roll back, absorbing some
of the shock. Also the other car can absorb energy by compressing, the wall
can't.

Eric Anderson, UC San Diego

braman@dataio.UUCP (Rick Braman) (07/09/85)

> Re: The 35 MPH collision... There is a big difference between hitting a
> stationary brick wall and another car. The car can roll back, absorbing some
> of the shock. Also the other car can absorb energy by compressing, the wall
> can't.
>
> Eric Anderson, UC San Diego

Maybe thats why he said "like hitting a brick wall at *25* MPH" ?  I too don't
believe that the Subaru could have survived a 35 MPH head on collision with a
much bigger and heavier car.  Just my opinion.

                                       |       " Go catch a thermal! "

  x                                  O   O                                   x
   \xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxO   Oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
                                     O   O
                                      OoO

    uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!braman                            -- Usenet
    Rick Braman    Data I/O Corp     Redmond WA             206-885-5851