[can.usrgroup] can.usrgroup

chk@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (05/29/89)

In article <1989May27.022649.7146@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>The entire purpose of this newsgroup is to discuss matters relating to
>/usr/group/cdn (note the name).  We who are directly involved do use e-mail
>heavily, but some of the discussion is quite relevant to everyone else, and
>we appreciate everyone's input.  In fact, this newsgroup is gated through
>the unix-unanimous mailing list (guess where that name comes from).

In my understanding, the unix-unanimous mailing list was started to discuss
unix issues because /usr/group/cdn wasn't. I am fuzzy on the original
history, so I am not sure whether the mailing-list or the UU meetings came
first.

However, this I do know: can.usrgroup was created to carry the UU mailing
list traffic to the net, because it was felt that the mailing list was not
reaching enough of the people who would be interested in UU. It was not
created to discuss /usr/group/cdn. Nevertheless, the two groups are somewhat
inter-related, and I admit there will be inevitable spill-over. Also,
evolution being what it is...

--
Grandpa Charnock's Law:	 | C. Harald Koch  NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
You never really learn	 | chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	   (long-term address)

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (05/31/89)

I leave the meat what I could have said in this discussion to
Peter Renzland, who in is rebuttal to himself explained many of
the other issues VERY well.

In article <1769@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:
> In my understanding, the unix-unanimous mailing list was started to discuss
> unix issues because /usr/group/cdn wasn't. I am fuzzy on the original
> history, so I am not sure whether the mailing-list or the UU meetings came
> first.

The UU mailing list was started by Paul Maclauchlan to give the
attendee's of UU meetings yet another forum, and as a vehicle to
announce the regular meetings to those people who were interested.

> However, this I do know: can.usrgroup was created to carry the UU mailing
> list traffic to the net, because it was felt that the mailing list was not
> reaching enough of the people who would be interested in UU. It was not
> created to discuss /usr/group/cdn. Nevertheless, the two groups are somewhat
> inter-related, and I admit there will be inevitable spill-over. Also,
> evolution being what it is...

Here I may be stepping on toes, but anyway....  Can.usrgroup was
created by Dave Mason for at least two reasons.  One was to
gateway the UU mailing list to Usenet sites throughout Canada, and
the other was to create a more identifiable forum for discussion
about issues in the Unix community in Canada.  It was an
alternative to using the more confusing feature of country wide
distribution in comp.org.usrgroup.  The important feature was to
get more information about activities in the Unix community of
Toronto out into the Unix community of Canada and thereby invite
more participation on a National scale.

Unix Unanimous and /usr/group/cdn, from your point of view, may be
treated as two forums of one group.  Unix Unanimous is part of
/usr/group/cdn, and neither excludes non-members.  Stuff in the UU
mailing list IS about /usr/group/cdn.  Oddly enough the
relationship is more one-way, but that's another story.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{{utgpu,eci386,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA