[can.usrgroup] Meeting Notice

sonia@fricker.uucp (Sonia Fricker Brock) (06/06/89)

        June 28th, 18:15
        Unix Unanimous meeting
        UofT FLIS
        140 St George St, Rm 212  (St. George, south of Bloor)
        [come early to get a seat!]

        Discussion topic suggestions are welcome.  Please mail to the list
        (unix-unanimous@moore) or post to can.usrgroup.

A Word from our Founder:-

For those who are still unfamiliar with Unix Unanimous -- UU can be thought
of as a live version of Usenet.  Bring your questions and problems, and lay
them at the feet of real and imagined experts.  The format closely emulates
the informal anarchy of the Net.  It's free, wild, and all are welcome.

It is customary to follow the sirocco of pure reason with liquid and solid
sustenance at a nearby restaurant (The Greek Place).

sonia@fricker
!uunet!attcan!telly!moore!fricker!sonia
!uunet!mnetor!becker!fricker!sonia

Martin Loeffler <eisen@contact.uucp> (06/06/89)

> For those who are still unfamiliar with Unix Unanimous -- UU can be thought
> of as a live version of Usenet. ...
> sonia@fricker

 It's not *that* bad! Well, talk.bizzare might be close...

morrison@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) (06/08/89)

In article <248aab57@fricker.uucp> Sonia Fricker Brock <sonia@fricker.uucp>
writes about an upcoming meeting of Unix Unanimous:

>        June 28th, 18:15
>        Unix Unanimous meeting
>        UofT FLIS
>        140 St George St, Rm 212  (St. George, south of Bloor)
>        [come early to get a seat!]
[Stuff about the UU group deleted]
>sonia@fricker
>!uunet!attcan!telly!moore!fricker!sonia
>!uunet!mnetor!becker!fricker!sonia

Now, I have been subscribing (reading would be too generous) to this
group since its inception. I have yet to discern any reason why anything
that appears here would be of any interest to anyone outside of an
apparently small clique of readers in Toronto and near vicinity.

I suggest that rather that than wasting network resources, nation-wide,
on the sort of idle chatter that predominates here, that this group be
converted to 1 (or more) regional mailing lists.
------------------------------
Rick Morrison		 | {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
			 |  ubc-vision!ubc-csgrads!morrison
Dept. of Computer Science| morrison@cs.ubc.ca
Univ. of British Columbia| morrison%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5  | morrison@ubc.csnet (ubc-csgrads=128.189.97.20)
(604) 228-4327

P.S. I won't be able to make it to the Greek Palace.

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/08/89)

In article <2176@ubc-cs.UUCP> morrison@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) writes:

>Now, I have been subscribing (reading would be too generous) to this
>group since its inception. I have yet to discern any reason why anything
>that appears here would be of any interest to anyone outside of an
>apparently small clique of readers in Toronto and near vicinity.
>
>I suggest that rather that than wasting network resources, nation-wide,
>on the sort of idle chatter that predominates here, that this group be
>converted to 1 (or more) regional mailing lists.

Here! Here! I've never understood why we needed this group in the first place,
I refused to newgroup it when I was on ontenv, somehow it slipped through the
cracks here. The argument runs something like this:

	We already have comp.org.usrgroup, and the ability to limit
	distrubution to can so we don't need it for /usr/group/cdn

	We already have ont.events for meeting announcements for UU and
	/usr/group/cdn so we don't need it for that.

	UU has a mailing list for their internal chatter so we don't need it
	for that.

	The traffic in {can,ont,tor}.general is low enough that if there is
	actually something to be discussed publicly about either of these
	organizations there's plenty of room for it.

	So, what do we need can.usrgroup for?

OK, I'm about to 'rmgroup -d local can.usrgroup' anybody care to talk me out of
it?

--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

chk@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (06/08/89)

In article <2176@ubc-cs.UUCP> morrison@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) writes:
>I suggest that rather that than wasting network resources, nation-wide,
>on the sort of idle chatter that predominates here, that this group be
>converted to 1 (or more) regional mailing lists.

The voice of dissent grows stronger... :-)

--
Grandpa Charnock's Law:	 | C. Harald Koch  NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
You never really learn	 | chk@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	   (long-term address)

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (06/09/89)

It seems like the traffic in can.usrgroup can be split into two
catagories:

	1) General Unix questions, and
	2) UU stuff that only relates to the Toronto area.

I have yet to see any traffic related to /usr/group/cdn (other than
my own flames :-) .

Perhaps we should rmgroup can.usrgroup and create can.unix?

Of course, I'm all for keeping this group if it's used for its
intended purpose.

--
Lyndon Nerenberg / Computing Services / Athabasca University
{alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

 Trying to manage programmers is like trying to herd cats!

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/09/89)

In article <372@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> [...]
>OK, I'm about to 'rmgroup -d local can.usrgroup' anybody care to talk me out of
>it?

	Nope. Go ahead. No Chinese Tanks here 8^)...
	Me, I like can.usrgroup just fine, so I'll
	keep receiving it & passing it along.

	If any of you "moegate" or "ontenv" folks
	want to continue to get this newsgroup you
	better see if your sysop is democratic &
	accedes to your wishes - otherwise complain
	in "can.general" or something so we can
	have a good roast 8^)...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

In article <1808@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) writes:
|In article <2176@ubc-cs.UUCP> morrison@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Rick Morrison) writes:
|>I suggest that rather that than wasting network resources, nation-wide,
|>on the sort of idle chatter that predominates here, that this group be
|>converted to 1 (or more) regional mailing lists.
|
|The voice of dissent grows stronger... :-)

	Who cares what people outside of T.O.
	thinks about can.usrgroup anyway!

hahahahaheeheehohohak kaff kak hak*gghh
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `/v/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET
_<  >_	 "Like, um, it *was* Jimi, I am so sure" - Lily of the Valley Girls

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (06/09/89)

This discussion is driving me up the friggin' wall!  Haven't you
people got anything better to do?  If you don't want to read the
content, and you've nothing better to contribute, buzz off!  [ 1/2 :-) ]

In article <608@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> lyndon@auvax.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
> It seems like the traffic in can.usrgroup can be split into two
> catagories:
>
> 	1) General Unix questions, and
> 	2) UU stuff that only relates to the Toronto area.

In actual fact the traffic is split into two categories:

	1. Those messages gatewayed from unix-unanimous@moore.uucp
	   by the unix-unanimous mailing list injector at tmsoft.
	2. Those messages posted to the newsgroup directly (like
	   this one)

> I have yet to see any traffic related to /usr/group/cdn (other than
> my own flames :-) .

Constructive critisim is more than welcome!

> Perhaps we should rmgroup can.usrgroup and create can.unix?

What good would that do?  Then we'd be having interesting
discussions about unix that the rest of the world would want to
join in on, and so why not discuss those things in
comp.unix.questions.  The point of discussing them on a local
mailing list was so people could get answers from people they
knew, or had at least seen before.

The reason the group was created with can distribution, rather
than ont or tor was to show the rest of the nation what we were
doing, encourage participation, and perhaps help others do similar
things.  The non-Toronto faction isn't the only group that feels
wronged.... some people here feel it was wrong to start spilling
what had been more intimate communications out to an unknown
audience.  I'm one of the ones sitting the fence, which means I
like the status quo.

Anyway, I don't think any of us are juvenile enough to fight
rmgroup/newgoup wars.  :-)

> Of course, I'm all for keeping this group if it's used for its
> intended purpose.

IT IS BEING USED FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE!
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{{utgpu,eci386,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (06/09/89)

>	1) General Unix questions, and
>	2) UU stuff that only relates to the Toronto area.

I have changed the program that injects the unix-unanimous mailing list
into this group so that the default will be 'ont'.  If anyone on the
list wants their message to get wider distribution, they can simply add:
to the headers of their message.  If anyone is greatly offended by
this, mail me.  (Or if anyone thinks it should be changed to tor, mail
me too.)

I think there has been SOME useful discussion related to
/usr/group/cdn that has taken place in this group, if only hanging out
dirty laundry between Lyndon and myself!  I should also point out that
unix-unanimous IS part of /usr/group/cdn, though admittedly a
relatively small (though certainly vocal!), local to Toronto, part.

With a new board to be elected to /usr/group/cdn next week, I continue
to hope that it will become (or evolve into) a truly national
organization, for which can.usrgroup seems like a useful sounding board.

As for comp.org.usrgroup with can distribution, /usr/group is
currently trying to change its name to UniForum or some such, and I
don't see that there's really much in common between /u/g/c & /u/g.

Lyndon suggests changing the name to can.unix.  Interestingly, /u/g/c
is also considering a name change.  Some board members (notably those
employed by multinationals) are keen to see us continue to mimic the
U.S. (oops, I mean WORLD, of course, but they're the same aren't they?
:-) organization and call ourselves 'Uniforum Canada' or some such.
Some others of us have suggested 'Unix Canada'.  So we're ahead of you
already Lyndon :-)

	../Dave

Quote of the day:
"I want to stay on the board so I can have more fun!"	- anon

acton@grads.cs.ubc.ca (Donald Acton) (06/10/89)

In article <579@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
}	Who cares what people outside of T.O.
}	thinks about can.usrgroup anyway!

I thought that Rick's original point was who cares what T.O thinks!

But, more seriously, I think that if this news group is to serve a more
useful purpose its mandate must be clearly defined. As Rick Morrison
pointed out most postings seem to be idle chit-chat or announcements of
events in the T.O area, hardly stuff that warrants a national newsgroup.
Perhaps at the next "meeting" a discussion of this newsgroup and its
purpose would be in order. Maybe through discussions of this topic
here or at the meeting a way can be found to make this a useful group.
Otherwise I think it should be given the death sentence.

  Donald Acton

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/10/89)

In article <1989Jun9.152104.18526@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
|>	1) General Unix questions, and
|>	2) UU stuff that only relates to the Toronto area.
|
|I have changed the program that injects the unix-unanimous mailing list
|into this group so that the default will be 'ont'.  If anyone on the
|list wants their message to get wider distribution, they can simply add:
|to the headers of their message.  If anyone is greatly offended by
|this, mail me.  (Or if anyone thinks it should be changed to tor, mail
|me too.)

	Dave, I think you should not do this unless it has
	been subject to public (i.e., here) discussion and
	generally agreed to...

--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `/v/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET
_<  >_	 "Like, um, it *was* Jimi, I am so sure" - Lily of the Valley Girls

uucp@tmsoft.uucp (Now THATs a Daemon) (06/10/89)

to can.usrgroup, I think can.usrgroup should be left around in case
some national discussion does come up.

I don't think we should rely on comp.org.usrgroup with a can
distribution for a couple of reasons:

1) Users are notoriously bad at using distributions

2) A lot of people might not notice a "canadian" posting in
comp.org.usrgroup. (i.e. the Subject: may not be clear, or, for
example, this machine keeps ut,tor,ont,can articles longer than
everything except news.announce.newusers articles).
--
	  Brian Glendenning - Radio astronomy, University of Toronto
brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca uunet!utai!radio!brian  glendenn@utorphys.bitnet