[can.usrgroup] Domain names and other mystical incantations

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (09/09/89)

In article <89Sep7.214410edt.28732@nexus.yorku.ca> davecb@nexus.yorku.ca writes:
>paul@moore.UUCP (Paul Maclauchlan) quoth:
>| Email is starting to catch on at the office and noises are being
>| made about linking up various local implementations.  It seemed
>| to me the time might be ripe for a machine.moore.COM type of
>| addressing scheme.
...if you plan on international sub-domains.  else .moore.ca would be
appropriate.

>| Having devoured the document, I am still unclear on one thing:
>| How do I figure out someone that is an Internet site?  It seems
>| I need someone that is willing to be a forwarder for my domain.
>| - Who is acting as forwarder for other local domains?
>	Unet, mostly.  UofT forwards UofT, not unexpectedly,
>but few sites forward "nearby" domains.  YorkU.ca forwards
>ists, but ists is closely related to york: its one of our
>comercial partners...
uunet will forward to 'once-removed' sites.  telly.on.ca for example
has ?attcan? as an intermediary with uunet.  This avoids spending $60+
per month polling uunet for traffic that may not be there.

>| - Is anyone reading this willing to be a forwarder for Moore?
>  Probably the best question is
>	"who's willing to be a forwarder for the non-academic
>	sites around Toronto"?

There are 2 possible solutions: have someone on Onet (which costs at
least $20,000 initiation fee + monthly line charges); have someone be
an intermediary to uunet.

If we could expect to recoup MOST of our costs, tmsoft would be
willing to be an intermediary to uunet for a toronto.on.ca domain,
with direct connections to everyone in the domain.  Say all members
(including tmsoft) would equally split the monthly uunet bill?  If
there were 1/2 dozen of us, that would bring it down to ~$10/month
with a nightly poll to uunet.  The frequency of the polling could be
increased as more people were added past that point, in order to keep
the per-member costs at about that level.

This is an appropriate time to bring this up, as we (tmsoft) are just
setting up a domain ourselves, with a generous neighbour as
intermediary (actually they already carry all our uunet mail anyway :-).

So here's a proposal:
	Everyone who would be willing to pay the one-time fee to uunet
	(about $35 (probably U.S.)) and $10-$15/month for the domain
	forwarding (and we could set up an automatic 'pick-up
	wonderful junk from uunet' daemon that would bill-back to the
	requester for the transfer costs) with at least nightly
	calling, send me mail.  If you agree with the idea, but don't
	think tmsoft should be the intermediary, also send me mail.
	I'll keep track of all the responses.  (We would also of course
	be the intermediary for other domains (like moore.com and
	telly.on.ca) under the same financial conditions.)

	../Dave

eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) (09/11/89)

>>| Having devoured the document, I am still unclear on one thing:
>>| How do I figure out someone that is an Internet site?  It seems
>>| I need someone that is willing to be a forwarder for my domain.
>>| - Who is acting as forwarder for other local domains?
>>	Unet, mostly.  UofT forwards UofT, not unexpectedly,
>>but few sites forward "nearby" domains.  YorkU.ca forwards
>>ists, but ists is closely related to york: its one of our
>>comercial partners...

Just for the record: ISTS does its own forwarding, and has since around Feb.
As a voting member of Onet, ISTS is an Internet site, and does not depend
on York for any Email or Domain Name Service facilities, although we do enjoy
a very close relationship with them and share a fiber optic ethernet
connection. We also act as secondary nameservers for each other. For inbound
Internet Email we were MX served by ai.utoronto.ca (many thanks, Rayan) until I
activated our name server. This was complete around the beginning of Aug.

ISTS provides EMail registration services and forwarding for all industrial
members of ISTS.

davecb@yunexus.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (09/12/89)

eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) writes:
>Just for the record: ISTS does its own forwarding, and has since around Feb.

OOPS! Sorry, Eric, I lied!

--dave (;-{) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave