[can.usrgroup] Domains

bob@gompa.UUCP (Robert Ames) (09/09/89)

> Having devoured the document, I am still unclear on one thing:
> How do I figure out someone that is an Internet site?  It seems
> I need someone that is willing to be a forwarder for my domain.
> - Who is acting as forwarder for other local domains?

  and Dave Mason suggests:

So here's a proposal:
	Everyone who would be willing to pay the one-time fee to uunet
	(about $35 (probably U.S.)) and $10-$15/month for the domain
	forwarding (and we could set up an automatic 'pick-up
	wonderful junk from uunet' daemon that would bill-back to the
	requester for the transfer costs) with at least nightly
	calling, send me mail.  If you agree with the idea, but don't
	think tmsoft should be the intermediary, also send me mail.
	I'll keep track of all the responses.  (We would also of course
	be the intermediary for other domains (like moore.com and
	telly.on.ca) under the same financial conditions.)

  At Royal Trust we have been thinking along these lines also.  In fact,
we just sent in our fees to UUNET (they want one year's worth in advance,
Dave).  We are looking at the DOS Merge facility of AIX as a possible means
of bringing Usenet to our workstations via LAN.

  I believe the present cost of ONET membership is $18K, including a
Proteon router and a 56K baud signal circuit.  A local consortium might
be feasible, but we should be careful to "do it right the first time".

--
Royal Trust Product Initiatives Laboratory | "Opinions expressed may not
74 Victoria Street - 7th Floor             |  represent the policy of my

cks@ziebmef.mef.org (Chris Siebenmann) (09/13/89)

bob@gompa writes:
|   I believe the present cost of ONET membership is $18K, including a
| Proteon router and a 56K baud signal circuit.  A local consortium might
| be feasible, but we should be careful to "do it right the first time".

 For those who don't know, I figure I should point out that ONET is a
wide-area-network running TCP/IP; in practical terms this means that
if you aren't a fairly large institution with an existing local-area
network that runs TCP/IP (probably on BSD boxes), you shouldn't
bother. Onet access isn't something that can really be done via a
consortium of sites in any real sense (except by setting up a
central uunet-like site that people dial into).

	- cks