[can.usrgroup] TeX vs. troff

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (10/19/89)

Somewhere, someone has presented a good comparison of Tex and troff -
what tasks are best suited to one or another, how their printer support
compares, etc.

I also haven't yet been given a consistent explanation of what Metafont
is. Is it:

a) a tool which creates downloadable fonts, which can be used
   independently of TeX?

b) a tool whick creates printer-specific bitmaps of an image to be
   printed?

c) the way to teach TeX about new fonts, their sizes and spacing?

d) none of the above?

Thanks. Maybe TeX would be a good future topic at a meeting. Anyone know
enough about it to present a 1-hour tutorial?
--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                 evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan

rayan@cs.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (10/19/89)

e)	All of the above.

Evan, you weren't confused for nothing :-)

In article <1989Oct19.035742.1893@telly.on.ca> evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I also haven't yet been given a consistent explanation of what Metafont
>is. Is it:
>a) a tool which creates downloadable fonts, which can be used
>   independently of TeX?
>b) a tool whick creates printer-specific bitmaps of an image to be
>   printed?
>c) the way to teach TeX about new fonts, their sizes and spacing?

More or less all of the above.  Its main job is to turn quasi-algorithmic
descriptions of fonts into bitmaps in specific sizes.  The resulting bitmap
fonts are theoretically usable with anything, although mostly they get used
with TeX.  And font-metric information necessarily is generated at the same
time.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

morgan@camtwh.UUCP (Morgan Jones) (10/20/89)

> Somewhere, someone has presented a good comparison of Tex and troff -
> what tasks are best suited to one or another, how their printer support
> compares, etc.

> I also haven't yet been given a consistent explanation of what Metafont
> is. Is it:

> a) a tool which creates downloadable fonts, which can be used
>    independently of TeX?

> b) a tool whick creates printer-specific bitmaps of an image to be
>    printed?

> c) the way to teach TeX about new fonts, their sizes and spacing?

> d) none of the above?

> Thanks. Maybe TeX would be a good future topic at a meeting. Anyone know
> enough about it to present a 1-hour tutorial?

I believe that the answer is:

  e) all of the above.

Morgan W. Jones					(morgan@camtwh)
Orama Incorporated, Toronto, Canada.		(416) 369-5088

nik (10/21/89)

Yes, I'm interested in a tutorial on Tex, Troff, PostScript generators, etc
etc. I'll actually *pay* to get this discussion to start at a significantly
simple enough level!!!