[can.usrgroup] Cnews 3.0

brian@bkj386.UUCP (brian brian386) (10/25/89)

I am running Cnews 3.0, and have unexpectedly run into the problem of
finding duplicate news articles cropping up (in the same news group,
often consecutively). Have I missed something obvious here?
I am using Xenix 2.3.2 and have linked in the Xenix dbm library
(from the 2.2 development system).  The problem exists whether
I manually run newsbin/expire/mkhistory or not.  'doexpire' is
cron-ned, and should never call 'expire -r' (which turns off the
automatic reduplication of the history file), and should remake
the file every night.
So, what am I doing wrong?

In article <8910250017.AA10155@bkj386.UUCP> brian@bkj386.UUCP (brian brian386) writes:
>I am running Cnews 3.0, and have unexpectedly run into the problem of
>finding duplicate news articles cropping up (in the same news group,
>often consecutively). Have I missed something obvious here?

I assume you mean C News; 3.0 is an entirely different news system and
is not related to C News.  Check to make sure those articles are *exact*
duplicates (in particular, do they have the same Message-ID?) -- there
have been a number of recent cases of malfunctioning software elsewhere
resulting in imperfect duplicates that look like unrelated articles to
the software.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu