[can.usrgroup] getty

rasmus> (11/09/89)

It seems my pcomm is not resetting the getty for incoming calls after accessing
a tty.  It is a bit of an annoyance.  A disbale/enable fixes things, but I was
wondering if someone has written that getty toggle thing described in port.c
of the pcomm source?  I am running Xenix 2.2.3 with hdb uucp.  I think I am
using the 2.3.1 getty routine though.  If no one has written this thing,
could someone tell me the details on the getty routines?  How would I write
a short little C routine to fix my getty problem?  What are the differences
between the Xenix 2.2.3 and Xenix 2.3.1 getty routines?

Thanks in advance for any help.

root@nebulus (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (11/11/89)

Rasmus Lerdorf <dciem!nttor!rasmus> writes:

>of the pcomm source?  I am running Xenix 2.2.3 with hdb uucp.  I think I am
>using the 2.3.1 getty routine though.  If no one has written this thing,

 I would sugest you inquire in to the cost of an upgrade for the xenix.
Lots of changes went into the 2.3.2 release but it still a far cry from
being solid and reliable. I would look at some of the *nix'es like BELL
Tech, Interactive, Enix, etc.. Xenix historically has had severe problems
with dealing with tty subsystem / driver bugs. If your modem is smart teach
it to be quick on the draw on a DTR drop this may correct the symptom.

NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge   UUCP: uunet!tmsoft!nebulus!dennis
QTH:      Toronto, Canada          ELECTROMAGNETIC:   145.03Mhz ve3gss@ve3gss
AMPR.ORG: [44.135.88.54]           THE RIGHT CHIOCE?: (416) 733-1696

rasmus@contact.uucp (Rasmus Lerdorf) (11/12/89)

>  I would sugest you inquire in to the cost of an upgrade for the xenix.
> Lots of changes went into the 2.3.2 release but it still a far cry from
> being solid and reliable. I would look at some of the *nix'es like BELL
> Tech, Interactive, Enix, etc.. Xenix historically has had severe problems
> with dealing with tty subsystem / driver bugs. If your modem is smart teach
> it to be quick on the draw on a DTR drop this may correct the symptom.
> --
> NAME:     Dennis S. Breckenridge   UUCP: uunet!tmsoft!nebulus!dennis

Well, unfortunately we are pretty well committed to Xenix 2.2.3.  2.3.x have
unsolvable shared memory problems.  I am not sure on the exact specifics of
these problems, but it has something to do with the relational database our
software is using.  Regardless, upgrading the OS is not an option.

However, we discovered that sending the getty a SIGTERM signal when pcomm
releases the tty fixes things nicely.  Can someone explain exactly how the
silly getty routine thinks?  We found that sending it a SIGUSR1 put a DIALOUT
on the tty.  Neat stuff.  If someone has the source to any version of the
Xenix getty routines, I'd trade you my right arm, or any organ of your choice.

If anyone is running Pcomm under Xenix, you might want to fix up your port.c
routine to fix the getty on your tty after you are done.  If you only use the
port to dial out on, there is really no problem, but if you want to dial in,
you'll have to manually do a disable tty, enable tty after you are done using
pcomm, or send the getty a SIGTERM in port.c.  I'll mail anyone interested a
copy of our port.c.
--
Rasmus Lerdorf {lsuc,utzoo,mnetor}!dciem!nttor!rasmus | I'd rather be in Denmark
Northern Telecom, Toronto, Canada. (416)597-2090x2505 | SD Eng Waterloo '93