[can.usrgroup] Unix Unanimous meeting - November 22

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/15/89)

The next meeting of Unix Unanimous will take place Wednesday, November 22
at 6:45pm, in the Rose Room of the North York Memorial Community Hall.

The topic for the November meeting is text formatting software on Unix.
Chris Lewis from Elegant Communications will first give a presentation,
and later answer questions, about the 'troff' and 'nroff' packages that
until recently were a standard part of the Unix release.

(The second element of this topic, dealing with the TeX formatting system,
will be presented at the January 24 meeting by Jean-Francois Lamy. He is
unable to make the November meeting, but his deep knowledge of TeX will
make that meeting worth the wait!)

For the other half of the meeting, anyone can present their Unix
questions or problems for discussion.

As was the case last month, this meeting will have a deli spread. Cost
will be determined at mealtime, depending on how many are eating, but
will likely be less than $7.00. Please mail me if you intend to attend,
so I can properly plan for the correct number of eaters.

Unix Unanimous is an informal group of enthusiasts who meet on the
fourth Wednesday of each month, to socialize and discuss (sometimes in
great technical detail) Unix-related topics of mutual interest. There
is a loose affliliation with /usr/group/cdn (which pays for the room
rental) but there are no fees or memberships in anything required to attend.

Newcomers are always welcome.

The North York Memorial Community Hall is located on the bottom floor of
the new North York Main Library building, located next to North York
City Hall at the corner of Yonge Street and Park Home Avenue, about half
way between Sheppard and Finch. By TTC, take the subway to North York
Centre station.

E-mail me if you need further information.

--
Men. They can put one on the moon. | Evan Leibovitch, Telly Computing,
Why can't they put 'em all there?  | located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario

sonya@canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) (11/18/89)

In article <8911150955.AA19961@telly.on.ca> Evan Leibovitch <evan@telly.on.ca> writes:
>(The second element of this topic, dealing with the TeX formatting system,
>will be presented at the January 24 meeting by Jean-Francois Lamy. He is
>unable to make the November meeting, but his deep knowledge of TeX will
>make that meeting worth the wait!)

Wait a sec....  I really want to hear about this topic, but January 24th
is right smack in the middle of Winter Usenix which is in Washington
D.C.  Am I the only person in Toronto that is interested in this topic
and going to Usenix??  If there are others, would it be possible to have
this meeting a week later, January 31st??

Sonya
sonya@canstar.hub.toronto.edu
{lsuc,ncrcan,utzoo,uthub}!canstar!sonya

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (11/19/89)

sonya@canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) writes:

>Wait a sec....  I really want to hear about this topic, but January 24th
>is right smack in the middle of Winter Usenix which is in Washington
>D.C.  Am I the only person in Toronto that is interested in this topic
>and going to Usenix??  If there are others, would it be possible to have
>this meeting a week later, January 31st??

January 24 and 31, February 21 and 28 are open for me.  On the other
Wednesdays I'm either fixing up dinner or babysitting (someone has to pay the
mortage, and since it isn't me, ... :-)

Evan must be pulling out his hair by this time.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

In article <174@canstar.UUCP> sonya@canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) writes:
>>(The second element of this topic, dealing with the TeX formatting system,
>>will be presented at the January 24 meeting...
>
>Wait a sec....  I really want to hear about this topic, but January 24th
>is right smack in the middle of Winter Usenix...

Although I know what TeX is (an inferior formatter :-) :-)), I'd like to
hear the talk too, and I too will be at Usenix.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mason@tmsoft.uucp (Dave Mason) (11/21/89)

In article <174@canstar.UUCP> sonya@canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) writes:
Seemingly repeatedly....
	...sigh

I have the most recent C news 1/2 installed....new expire, old rnews, so
occasionally duplicates don't get caught....this is clearly the worst
example of this problem....I'll finish the install soon...

please bear with me....I'm a little strung out this decade...

	../Dave

(It would probably be better if the news gateway (tmsoft) talked
directly to the mailing list source (moore) so the delay (which is
causing this particular problem) would be minimized.....Paul?)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/22/89)

In article <1989Nov21.052329.15529@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:

>please bear with me....I'm a little strung out this decade...
>
>	../Dave

Well, at least we know it won't last much longer. :-)

--
  Evan Leibovitch, Telly Computing, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
                evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan