[can.usrgroup] weird propogation?

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/13/89)

I must be missing something.

Peter apparently sent out two messages regarding the SkyDome fest today.
The first one didn't make it, and the second traveled this route from
ontmoh to tmsoft (two systems that talk directly to each other)

>From: peter@ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland)
>Newsgroups: can.usrgroup,comp.org.usrgroup
>Subject: Re: UniDome/89 -- Toronto SkyDome, 13 Dec 17:00 R.S.V.P.
>Date: 12 Dec 89 16:49:10 GMT
>To: unix-unanimous@moore.UUCP

I get the feeling I wouldn't have seen this either had it not been
cross-posted. Good thing the American sites don't check their

So, does anyone have an idea why a message posted by Peter, propogated
through UofT and attcan, didn't make its way to mnetor until it had been
to Montreal, uunet, and back to Montreal first?  It certainly didn't get
here from attcan.

Did anyone see the first message?

--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
          evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504

eisen@contact.uucp (Martin Loeffler) (12/14/89)

> I must be missing something.
>
> Peter apparently sent out two messages regarding the SkyDome fest today.
> The first one didn't make it, and the second traveled this route from
> ontmoh to tmsoft (two systems that talk directly to each other)

> Did anyone see the first message?
>
> --
>   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
>           evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416)452-0504
> If women designed condoms there is no doubt they would be not ribbed, but padded

No, and I don't know if you'll see this either. I've sent you mail before and
becuase that seems to be a fairly safe bet.

--
                          "Knowledge once gained
                    casts a faint light beyond it's own

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (12/14/89)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>The first one didn't make it, and the second traveled this route from
>ontmoh to tmsoft (two systems that talk directly to each other)

It is not the first time that articles have to go through philmtl to get out
of Toronto and then come back.  I would not be at all surprised that this path
be better than a direct path within Toronto.  The last time I sent a sendsys
out, I got most replies the day after the sendsys, many two and three days
later, and things only stopped after a full 7 days.

The uunet-concordia-jarvis-gpu part probably took less than a minute.  uunet
accepts *everything* (they even carry tor.test! and australian newsgroups).
The loop through uunet will likely go away when mcgill-vision and iros1 (U de
Montreal) start speaking NNTP to clyde (they both talk to philmtl).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4