[can.usrgroup] "But _I_ can't FTP..." Re: shared X systems available

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (01/17/91)

[ I've cross-posted this to can.usrgroup in which this item will be
relevant to a current discussion. ]

In article <601@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca> kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes:

[... Kevin wrote a bunch of words about use and abuse of bitftp by
UUCP only sites (esp. those in Canada which gateway through a very
narrow pipe paid for out of university coffers) which seemed to
indicate that he understood the problem (though only after having been
told he was abusing it) ....]

> I have received messages from several gateways indicating that they
> would like me to ease off my requests.  I test a lot of software.  I
> have a local 210Mb disk which fills up just about every week and I
> turnover new software every week.  UUCP was not designed to handle this
> kind of load. Internet is.

So, Kevin, getting your own 9600bps leased line to uunet next week?

**** That's sarcasm, BTW. ****

If you do agree that UUCP (esp. multi-hop transfer) isn't meant for
this kind of load, can you kindly explain to us why you've been
re-filling a 210Mb disk on a weekly basis by UUCP through a clogged
Internet gateway without paying for it?

Please stop doing this right now!  If you alone are indeed receiving
that much "mail", then your use alone amounts to a significant burden
on the resources.  Resources which are currently insufficient to serve
the paying customers!

Go buy the UUNET archives on tape!  It's only $150.00us for an exabyte
cartridge containing the entire 600 Mb!  Debugging that much stuff
should keep you busy for many years.

Even if you've only been receiving a few (i.e. less than 10) megabytes
per week, I'd say you'd used up your share of this resource for the
next several years.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada