[net.auto] Info wanted on Nissan Maxima and Pontiac Grand Am

co@cbscc.UUCP (Corinna Owens) (06/24/85)

I am considering buying the Nissan Maxima or the Pontiac Grand Am
(automatic with a 3.0 V6 engine).  I would appreciated any
info/experiences netters have had with these autos.

I am leaning toward the Grand Am.  I like the sportiness of it.
My husband is leaning toward the Maxima.  He feels it is more
comfortable and likes the idea of having four doors for a change.

I've checked the Consumer Reports magazine.  No info on the Grand Am
because it is new for 85.  They do say to beware of GM autos their
first year.  What do you think?
--

Corinna Owens    [... cbosgd!] cbscc!co

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (06/26/85)

In article <5493@cbscc.UUCP> co@cbscc.UUCP (Corinna Owens) writes:

>I am considering buying the Nissan Maxima or the Pontiac Grand Am
>(automatic with a 3.0 V6 engine).  I would appreciated any
>info/experiences netters have had with these autos.
>They do say to beware of GM autos their first year.  What do you think?

I'd like to recount some experiences that I've had, that will point out
the problems of buying a new-model car, particularly the Grand Am:

My wife and I were looking at a Grand Am a little while ago, with the
intent of possibly buying one.  We liked it a lot.  Being a small-scale
do-it-yourselfer, I looked under the hood to see whether I could do
some of the routine maintenance.  The engine (I'm not sure of the
size), was a mechanical masterpiece.  It seemed to be a rectangular
block of Aluminum (or some other metal - doesn't really matter) with
wires, pipes, and hoses sticking out.  I thought that the engine was
really neat.  But, then I tried looking for the oil filter.  The sales
rep and I looked for 15 minutes and couldn't find it.  (No
flames/corrections - If I bought one I'd look it up in the manual).
Later, I thought some more and remembered that there are major
problems with cars using new subsystems:

	1) Ordinary mechanics don't know how to repair them (yet) -
	   so you are a prisoner of the dealers and they always charge more.
	   And it will take longer.

	2) New subsystems frequently have problems, eg:
		a) 1980 Citations had severe problems with their transaxles
		   (My mother's car has had the bushings replaced twice -
		   once under warrantee, the second by my father and I -
		   NOT a nice job - even though we managed to do it without
		   removing the transaxle).  They didn't really get
		   rid of this problem until the '82 model year.
		b) 1980 Citations are very difficult to work with because
		   the engine is "odd" (you gotta take off the right front
		   tire to change the oil filter, replacing belts sometimes
		   requires removing the air-conditioner and some body
		   struts, and replacing the ignition subsystem may require
		   hoisting the engine - a $500-$800 CDN job!)

	3) It takes 2-3 years for 3rd party parts manufacturers to make
	   parts for them - if they ever do.  Again, you are a prisoner of
	   the manufacturer's higher price parts.  The problem is worst
	   when your model is the only one that uses a part - we're still
	   looking for wiper blades for our '83 Century!  (GM doesn't seem
	   to make them anymore, nor the adapter, and I refuse to buy
	   new wiper arms with a different mounting mechanism!)  Even
	   now, my 75 Valiant's air filter is 1/4 the cost of a 80
	   Citation's.

The Grand Am sure was neat, but I've never seen anything like that engine
before.  I wouldn't buy one until the engine has proven itself and has
become somewhat of a "standard".  Slant-6's - I love 'em!
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

heneghan@ihu1m.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) (07/01/85)

> I'd like to recount some experiences that I've had, that will point out
> the problems of buying a new-model car, particularly the Grand Am:
>
> My wife and I were looking at a Grand Am a little while ago, with the
> intent of possibly buying one.  We liked it a lot.  Being a small-scale
> do-it-yourselfer, I looked under the hood to see whether I could do
> some of the routine maintenance.  The engine (I'm not sure of the
> size), was a mechanical masterpiece.  It seemed to be a rectangular
> block of Aluminum (or some other metal - doesn't really matter) with
> wires, pipes, and hoses sticking out.  I thought that the engine was
> really neat.  But, then I tried looking for the oil filter.  The sales
> rep and I looked for 15 minutes and couldn't find it.  (No
> flames/corrections - If I bought one I'd look it up in the manual).
> Later, I thought some more and remembered that there are major
> problems with cars using new subsystems:
>
> 	1) Ordinary mechanics don't know how to repair them (yet) -
> 	   so you are a prisoner of the dealers and they always charge more.
> 	   And it will take longer.

***  It's getting where ordinary mechanics can't fix anything
     newer than an 81 model anything ***
			.
			.
			.

> The Grand Am sure was neat, but I've never seen anything like that engine
> before.  I wouldn't buy one until the engine has proven itself and has
> become somewhat of a "standard".  Slant-6's - I love 'em!

My sister bought a Grand Am with a 2.5. She loves it. The oil filter
is changed from underneath. You don't have to move any wheels. The
only problem she's had was that a flywheel loosened up once about
3 months ago. !!!

adb1@mtuxo.UUCP (a.benson) (07/03/85)

REFERENCES:  <5493@cbscc.UUCP>

TO:         co@cbscc.UUCP
DATE:        2 Jul 1985  17:10 EDT
SUBJECT:    Re: Info wanted on Nissan Maxima and Pontiac Grand Am
REFERENCES:  <5493@cbscc.UUCP>

!
I recently (april) pruurchased a Datsun Maxima and lov I love it.
I looThe car was rated in Car and Driver and in Road and Track as
a superb vehech=chle.  It all cases ist t cambe e out aboutvove the Toyota
Cressida (which costs about 3-4000 dollars more) and it came
out better oror even with the Auidi 4000.  It was compared to
a couple more cars but I do not remember them.  It  tdo remember
though the Pontiac 6000 STE (?) and it was rantked above that
as well.

The vehicle that I bpurchased awas loaded and I got a good deal.
Though I probably could have done a lot better had I let them
order the car for me.

My first car was an 82 Escort and the comparatively this ncar is a
dream!  The only probalem that I have had is that I forget to
collose the sunforoof a lot toof the time--which can cause problems if
it rains.

Angela

meier@srcsip.UUCP (C Michael Meier) (07/13/85)

Anyone have thoughts or experiences they would like to share
about a Grand Am/Calais/Somerset?  I am considering buying one,
and am particularly interested in the 3.0l V6 option.
Thanks.

Christopher Meier