[net.auto] Purchasing a new Honda

jimk@genie.UUCP ( intern) (07/03/85)

I am considering the purchase of an '85 Honda Accord 4-door sedan.  I
am interested in learning the going price in other parts of the country.
Out here in Palo Alto, the best price I have found is $8499 before tax
and licensing.  How does that stack up nationwide?

By the way, if any of you up at Dartmouth get this message, please respond to
this message (via follow up or mail).  I need to decide whether to buy in California or wait until the fall to buy in NH.  thanks in advance.

follmer@hplabs.UUCP (07/15/85)

I would say it might be worth getting it in NH or OR where there is no
sales tax vs. 6.5% here in Palo Alto.  Oregon registration is $29 for
2 years; its alot more in CA.  Finally, the economies of NH and OR are
probably not as thriving as those in Silicon Valley, so the actual price
might be better since there's less demand.

$8499 sounds pretty good for an accord I suppose.  However, from what
I've seen, dealers in the Bay Area are still selling Preludes for
$11,900 or even $13,800, and they can be had in Oregon for $10,800 tax free.
There is of course the moral and legal issue of buying a car in OR
when you fully intend to use it in CA.  I think you need to not get
caught for 3 months and 6000 miles and then you can register it here,
after passing pollution.  Morally, I have always advocated free interstate
commerce.

bobm@zinfandel.UUCP (Bob Miller) (07/15/85)

In article <2500016@hplabs.UUCP> follmer@hplabs.UUCP writes:
>I would say it might be worth getting it in NH or OR
>
>					 the economies of NH and OR are
>probably not as thriving as those in Silicon Valley, so the actual price
>might be better since there's less demand.

Could you get similar savings by going to one of the less thriving
(overcrowded, overexpensive, overhot) areas of California, such as
Stockton or Fresno?  I don't understand the demographics of this
state too well yet; these may be thriving areas too.

					K<bob>
--
					K<bob>

	"In space,			Bob Miller
	 it's never			Zehntel Automation Systems
	 Miller time."			Walnut Creek, California

					415 932 6900 x386

			{amd,hplabs,ihnp4,tektronix,ucbvax}!zehntel!bobm