[aus.tex] PasTeX driver

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (06/11/91)

  OK, I tried what Georg suggested, that is using dviprint without
the -z option and then with the '-o 0' option, and guess what? It
doesn't work.

  I typed 'dviprint -d 2 new.dvi' and all I got was rubbish on
my printer, which is a Fujitsu DL-1100, fully compatible (so the
manual assures me, even providing evidence) with the Epson LQ-2500.

  Now, you may ask 'but option -d 2 is for NEC P6/P7? Why not use
option -d 8 for Epson LQ?'. Well, here's what happens : -d 8 has
a bug, and doesn't work. Period. -d 2 WITH the -o 1 option works
splendidly, but ONLY up to 180dpi. My printer does 360dpi, and I
would like to use that resolution. But unfortunately the combination
of 'dviprint -d 2 -o 1 -z 360' causes it to print twice as large, and
generates major headaches.

  So here I am, stuck in a deadlock. If I use my way (dviprint -d 2 -o 1
-z 360 <filename>), I get a great output, at twice normal size, and
if I use (dviprint -d 2 <filename>), I (should) get normal size, but
get rubbish because I don't know how the program should be set up.

  You'll have to excuse my seeming a bastard here, Georg, but I am
really frustrated. The software is SO good, yet SO hard to use.

  So, can ANYONE PLEASE help me now? If there's something I'm doing
wrong, please tell me.

  Anticipating more problems...

! Alex Krooglik					krooglik@grunt.ecr.mu.oz.au
! Chemical Engineering
! University of Melbourne
! Melbourne, Australia

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun11.033641.19070@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au writes:

>  OK, I tried what Georg suggested, that is using dviprint without
>the -z option and then with the '-o 0' option, and guess what? It
>doesn't work.
>
>  I typed 'dviprint -d 2 new.dvi' and all I got was rubbish on
>my printer, which is a Fujitsu DL-1100, fully compatible (so the
>manual assures me, even providing evidence) with the Epson LQ-2500.
>
>  Now, you may ask 'but option -d 2 is for NEC P6/P7? Why not use
>option -d 8 for Epson LQ?'. Well, here's what happens : -d 8 has
>a bug, and doesn't work. Period. -d 2 WITH the -o 1 option works
>splendidly, but ONLY up to 180dpi. My printer does 360dpi, and I
>would like to use that resolution. But unfortunately the combination
>of 'dviprint -d 2 -o 1 -z 360' causes it to print twice as large, and
>generates major headaches.
>
>  So here I am, stuck in a deadlock. If I use my way (dviprint -d 2 -o 1
>-z 360 <filename>), I get a great output, at twice normal size, and
>if I use (dviprint -d 2 <filename>), I (should) get normal size, but
>get rubbish because I don't know how the program should be set up.

Ok, now I understand your problem.
First, the Epson-LQ mode has a bug. That's right :-((
But second, I think, that the NEC P6 360x360dpi mode is not compatible
with the Epson LQ. Didn't the Epson LQ only support 360x180dpi??

>  You'll have to excuse my seeming a bastard here, Georg, but I am
>really frustrated. The software is SO good, yet SO hard to use.

:-)
I hope, my next release will be better.

>  So, can ANYONE PLEASE help me now? If there's something I'm doing
>wrong, please tell me.

I think, that the 360dpi mode is not jet possible with your printer. Sorry.

>  Anticipating more problems...

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp