[aus.tex] LaTeX: Hyphenation Problem

mgb@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Michael Barlow) (06/13/91)

Hi, I'm having a problem with hyphenation under LaTeX and wonder if
someone could help.

I'm using a number of hyphenated words like non-normalised and
log-concatenated. These occur in the captions of a large number of
figures and tables. When I generate a lof or lot I get a large number
of overfull hbox errors because it doesn't want to hypenated these
words anywhere but at the original hyphen.

I've tried things like \hyphenation{nor-mal-ised}
but of course normalised isn't the same word as non-normalised!...
and \hyphenation{non-nor-mal-ised} won't work either as it looks for
the word nonnormalised.

I know I can go around and individually hyphenate these words but it
would be much nicer if there was a simple, one place, fix.

Thankyou in advance.

							Spike
						    Bun Bu RyoDo
--------------
Michael Barlow	 mgb@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au

robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.070121.1906@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au>, mgb@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Michael Barlow) writes:
> Hi, I'm having a problem with hyphenation under LaTeX and wonder if
> someone could help.
>
> I'm using a number of hyphenated words like non-normalised and
> log-concatenated. These occur in the captions of a large number of
> figures and tables. When I generate a lof or lot I get a large number
> of overfull hbox errors because it doesn't want to hypenated these
> words anywhere but at the original hyphen.
>
> I've tried things like \hyphenation{nor-mal-ised}
> but of course normalised isn't the same word as non-normalised!...
> and \hyphenation{non-nor-mal-ised} won't work either as it looks for
> the word nonnormalised.
>
> I know I can go around and individually hyphenate these words but it
> would be much nicer if there was a simple, one place, fix.

This is because of the jolly rules of `proper' typesetting - don't (they
say) hyphenate a word that's already been explicitly hyphenated.

I picked up the following hack from Barbara Beeton ages ago, and include
it in all the style files I write - it needs to be inserted in the final
pass (so non-normalised goes to non\hyph normalised), to get rid of
those otherwise un-removable bad \hbox{es}. It's the `breakable hyphen'
command:

      \def\hyph{-\penalty0\hskip0pt\relax}

You could play tricks mapping it to a character that's made active for
the purpose, but `-'?  Mmmm...
--
Robin Fairbairns, Senior Consultant, postmaster and general dogsbody
Laser-Scan Ltd., Science Park, Milton Rd., Cambridge CB4 4FY, UK

spit@fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun14.143616.776@lsl.co.uk> robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) writes:

>This is because of the jolly rules of `proper' typesetting - don't (they
>say) hyphenate a word that's already been explicitly hyphenated.
Might be, but you will have difficulties with german
and dutch (and probably a lot more languages) which
contain too many of these words to apply this rule.

robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun14.191028.14533@fys.ruu.nl>, spit@fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) writes:
> In <1991Jun14.143616.776@lsl.co.uk> robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) writes:
>
>>This is because of the jolly rules of `proper' typesetting - don't (they
>>say) hyphenate a word that's already been explicitly hyphenated.
> Might be, but you will have difficulties with german
> and dutch (and probably a lot more languages) which
> contain too many of these words to apply this rule.

Oh dearie me - I stand corrected.  I just don't know enough German,
obviously, and my Dutch is next to non-existent (there are too many good
speakers of English in Holland for the incentive to be strong enough).

Am I to understand that this is another instance in which TeX is
not-quite-perfect for the non English-speaking world?  Oh woe!
--

geoffo@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au (Geoff Oakley) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.095110.781@lsl.co.uk> robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) writes:

   In article <1991Jun14.191028.14533@fys.ruu.nl>, spit@fys.ruu.nl (Werenfried Spit) writes:
   > In <1991Jun14.143616.776@lsl.co.uk> robin@lsl.co.uk (Robin Fairbairns) writes:
   >
   >>This is because of the jolly rules of `proper' typesetting - don't (they
   >>say) hyphenate a word that's already been explicitly hyphenated.
   > Might be, but you will have difficulties with german
   > and dutch (and probably a lot more languages) which
   > contain too many of these words to apply this rule.

   Oh dearie me - I stand corrected.  I just don't know enough German,
   obviously, and my Dutch is next to non-existent (there are too many good
   speakers of English in Holland for the incentive to be strong enough).

   Am I to understand that this is another instance in which TeX is
   not-quite-perfect for the non English-speaking world?  Oh woe!

Don't get too depressed just yet.  Remember that non-English `versions'
of TeX have their own, different hyphenation tables.  And that with
TeX 3.0 there is (fairly) full support for multi-lingual TeX.
Remember also the impressive Japanese and Arabic (and no doubt other)
versions that exist.
--

	       geoffo@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au
Geoff Oakley:  CS & E, UNSW, PO Box 1, Kensington, NSW 2033, Australia