[comp.os.mach] Request for basic

mmoore@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Mike Moore) (08/17/89)

Would someone please post a bibliography of Mach references and a list of
hardware platforms that can run Mach?  Thanks.

rajeevc@mipos2.intel.com (rajeev chandrasekhar) (08/18/89)

In article <1516@cattell.psych.upenn.edu> mmoore@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Mike Moore) writes:
>Would someone please post a bibliography of Mach references and a list of
>hardware platforms that can run Mach?  Thanks.

A Bibliography that i got of the net a while back.. references
for mach and related work. The stuff is in bibtex format..

enjoy,

Rajeev

--cut here---------

@INPROCEEDINGS{Accetta86,
  AUTHOR = "M. Accetta and R.Baron and D. Golub and R.Rashid and
            A.Tevanian and M. Young",
  TITLE = "Mach: A New Kernel Foundation for UNIX Development",
  BOOKTITLE = usenix86,
  YEAR = 1986
}

@ARTICLE{Baron85A,
  AUTHOR = "R Baron and R Rashid and E Siegel and A Tevanian and M
Young",
  TITLE = "MACH-1:  An Operating System Environment for Large-Scale
           Multiprocessor Applications",
  JOURNAL = software,
  YEAR = 1985, MONTH = "July"
}

@INCOLLECTION{Baron85B,
  AUTHOR = "R Baron and R Rashid and E Siegel and A Tevanian and M
Young",
  TITLE = "MACH-1:  A Multiprocessor Oriented Operating System and
Environment",
  YEAR = 1985,
  EDITOR = "Arthur Wouk",
  BOOKTITLE = "New Computing Environments:  Parallel, Vector and
Systolic,",
  PUBLISHER = "Siam",
  ADDRESS = {Philadelphia, PA}
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Jones86,
  AUTHOR = "M Jones and R Rashid",
  TITLE = "Mach and MatchMaker:  Kernel and Language Support for
Object-Oriented and Distributed Systems",
  BOOKTITLE = oopsla86,
  YEAR = 1986, MONTH = "September"
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Jones84,
  AUTHOR = "M Jones and R Rashid and M Thompson",
  TITLE = "Matchmaker:  An Interface Specification Language for
Distributed Processing",
  BOOKTITLE = "Proceedings of the 12th ACM SIGACT-SIGPLAN Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages",
  Publisher = "ACM", Month = "January", YEAR = 1986
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Rashid81,
  AUTHOR = "R Rashid and G Robertson",
  TITLE = "Accent: A Communication Oriented Network Operating System
Kernel",
  BOOKTITLE = "Proceedings of the 8th Symposium on Operating Systems
Principles",
  YEAR = 1981, MONTH = "December",
  PUBLISHER = "ACM"
}

@TECHREPORT{Sansom86,
  AUTHOR = "R Sansom and D Julin and R Rashid",
  TITLE = "Extending a Capability Based System into a Network
Environment",
  INSTITUTION = "CMU Computer Science Department",
  YEAR = 1986, MONTH = "April"
}

@INPROCEEDINGS{Smith86,
  AUTHOR = "E Smith and D Anderson",
  TITLE = "Flamingo:  Object-Oriented Abstractions for User Interface
Management",
  BOOKTITLE = usenix86, YEAR = 1986
}

Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Intel Corp            >> theres someone in my head, and its not me <<
2625, Walsh Ave MS SC4-59                      (408) 765-4632
Santa Clara, CA 95051  {hplabs,oliveb}!intelca!mipos2!rajeevc

navin@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Navin Budhiraja) (08/18/89)

In article <1516@cattell.psych.upenn.edu> mmoore@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Mike Moore) writes:
>Would someone please post a bibliography of Mach references and a list of
>hardware platforms that can run Mach?  Thanks.

Two machines that certainly run Mach are the NeXT and the BBN Butterfly.
The latter is a multi-node shared memory m/c.

Navin

chet@kiwi.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (08/18/89)

In article <31200@cornell.UUCP> navin@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Navin Budhiraja) writes:

>Two machines that certainly run Mach are the NeXT and the BBN Butterfly.
>The latter is a multi-node shared memory m/c.

Encore ships mach on their machines as well.

Chet Ramey			"We are preparing to think about contemplating
Network Services Group, CWRU	 preliminary work on plans to develop a
chet@cwjcc.INS.CWRU.Edu		 schedule for producing the 10th Edition of
				 the Unix Programmers Manual." -- Andrew Hume

Rick.Rashid@cs.cmu.edu (08/19/89)

Pardon the slow response, but I only recently discovered that this
list had become active.

Information on Mach licensing and distribution and technical
reports can be obtained by writing to:

	Mach Project
	c/o Rick Rashid
	School of Computer Science
	Carnegie Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, PA 15213
or
	mach@cs.cmu.edu

Current commercial products I am aware of are from NeXT,
Encore, Evans&Sutherland and BBN.

Mt Xinu has announced that it will be distributing commercial
versions of Mach on several architectures beginning early
next year (in much the way it has distributed BSD Unix).

CMU distributes Mach for the VAX, Sun 3 and IBM RT
architectures.  Information on specific models, etc. can be
obtained with the general Mach information packet.
The current release is referred to as Mach Release 2.
We are about to begin general distribution of Mach
Release 2.5 (a number of Universities and companies
already have early releases of 2.5).  There is a license
for Mach from CMU and you will need a Berkeley
license to get a tape from us.  There is no distribution
or license fee paid to CMU, however.

At CMU Mach runs on VAXen (uni and multiprocessors),
DEC 3100s, Multimaxes, Sun 3s, Sun 4s, 386s, IBM RTs,
IBM 370s and Macintosh IIs.  Ports have also been done to
a number of other machines by groups outside CMU.
CMU has limited capacity to distribute software so we don't
distribute Mach for all systems.  We are, however, willing
to provide Mach free to any manufacturer who is interested
in distributing it for their own machines.   If you want Mach
for a machine for which there is a port but no current
distributor, you should talk to your salesman or corporate
representative.

I should also point out that CMU maintains a mailing list
for information about Mach.  You can get on this list by
sending mail to info-mach-request@cs.cmu.edu.  The list
itself is info-mach@cs.cmu.edu.  An interface for
external management of multiprocessor scheduling was the
most recent topic on that list.

-Rick Rashid