[comp.os.mach] Apology to Chorus Systeme

m_lunn@summer.bt.co.uk (Mark Lunn) (09/12/89)

On 16th August, Ian Stephenson wrote the following to comp.os.mach :

> Is there anyone posting to this news group ?

> Is anyone using chorus, the French equivalent of mach (since the
> Americans are
> too paranoid to let mach out of the states)?
> I'm supposed to be evaluating chorus and mach but the French are
> incompetent and
> the Americans are paranoid. Hence I haven't got a working version of
> either
> system.

> If anyone is using either system, particularly in the UK, I'd be intrested
> to hear what you're doing.

> Ian

Despite a subsequent mailing which was posted on the 21 Aug 89 and in which
Ian stated that he did actually like the Chorus system, it is apparent that
there is need to clarify matters further.

(i) Ian Stephenson is a student who has been working at BTRL over the
summer.

(ii) His original mailing was unauthorised, does not reflect the views of the
group here and, in fact, does not accurately reflect his own views.  In short
he made a stupid and unjustified comment.

(iii) BTRL and Chorus are involved, together with a number of other industrial
and academic parties in an Esprit project known as 'Integrated Systems
Architecture' (ISA).

(iv) A problem has been encountered in running Chorus under SunOS 4.0 -
this is not a major problem for us and is no reflection on the Chorus system.
No other problems have been encountered and there is no evidence to criticise
Chorus or their software what so ever.

Apologies for any offence caused have been posted to both comp.os.mach
(21st Aug) and directly to Chorus Systeme.  We are look forward to continued
co-operation with Chorus.

Mark Lunn, 8th September 1989
British Telecom Research Laboratories
Martlesham Heath, IP5 7RE