[comp.os.mach] Why isn't Mt. Xinu offering a Mach binary distribution?

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/29/89)

My understanding is that Mt. Xinu's Mach distribution will be in source
form only.  It seems to me that the potential market for binary distribution
kits is as large, probably much larger, since a UNIX source licence wouldn't
be needed.  Anyone know why they haven't considered this?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

alan@mtxinu.COM (Alan Tobey) (09/30/89)

In article <53@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>My understanding is that Mt. Xinu's Mach distribution will be in source
>form only.  It seems to me that the potential market for binary distribution
>kits is as large, probably much larger, since a UNIX source licence wouldn't
>be needed.  Anyone know why they haven't considered this?

Mt Xinu IS considering Mach binaries, but hasn't announced any plans yet.  As
usual, we need to decide whether the potential market is big enough, what
an appropriate price would be, and whether such an activity would be
profitable enough to take on.

We'd appreciate suggestions:  On what hardware would a Mach binary (looking
and acting mostly like 4.3 from the outside) make sense to you?  What would
you use it for?  And what would be a reasonable/affordable price?  Your
comments to mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com would help us make plans.