[comp.os.mach] Mach references.

rich@gemed (Richard Ralston) (10/14/89)

Could someone please email me a list of Mach references, please?

Thanks!

ttfn,
rich

Richard B. Ralston              | Well, it's ok to murder babies
G.E. Medical Systems            | but we really ought to save the whales!
PO Box 414, W-824               | We're putting criminals in office 'cause
Milwaukee, WI 53201-414         | it's way to crowded in the jails.
                                |                  -Randy Stonehill
uucp:		{uunet!crdgw1|sun!sunbird}!gemed!starwolf!rich
internet:	rich@starwolf.med.ge.com

karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry) (10/18/89)

Here are the references which CMU sent me when I requested the
license.  (I sent email to mach@cs.cmu.edu, which got to
Lori.Iannamico@spice.cs.cmu.edu to request it). Some are technical, some
aren't.

CMU's paper address seems to be
Computer Science Department
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890.

A catalyst for open systems, Richard Rashid, Datamation, May 15, 1989.

Mach: the shape of the Unix future?, ???, Supermicro newsletter, July,
1987.

Next generation NOSs already are yielding practical benefits, Data
Communications, May 1986.

Designs for parallel architectures, Richard Rashid, Unix Review, April
1987.

Parallel processing finds a champion in Carnegie project, Gary
McWilliams, Datamation, February 15, 1988.

Threads of a new system, Richard Rashid, Unix Review, August 1986.

From RIG to Accent to Mach: the evolution of a network operating system,
Richard Rashid, August 28 1987, CMU.

Mach: a basis for future Unix development, Avadis Tevanian, Jr., and
Richard Rashid, June 1987, CMU-CS-87-139.

Mach: a new kernel foundation for Unix development, Mike Accetta, Robert
Baron, David Golub, Richard Rashid, Avadis Tevanian, and Michael Young,
CMU, August 1986.

A Unix interface for shared memory and memory mapped files under Mach,
Avadis Tevanian, Jr., Richard Rashid, Michael Young, David Golub, Mary
Thompson, William Bolosky, and Richard Sanzi, CMU, July 30, 1987.

Machine independent virtual memory management for paged uniprocessor and
multiprocessor architectures, Richard Rashid, Avadis Tevanian, Michael
Young, David Golub, Robert Baron, David Black, William Bolosky, and
Jonathan Chew, CMU-CS-87-140.

Mach threads and the Unix kernel: the battle for control, Avadis
Tevanian, Jr, Richard Rashid, David Golub, David Black, Eric Cooper, and
Michael Young, August 1987, CMU-CS-87-149.

Mach and matchmaker: kernel and language support for object-oriented
distributed systems, Michael Jones, Richard Rashid, September 1986,
CMU-CS-87-150.

The duality of memory and communication in the implementation of a
multiprocessor operating system, Michael Young, Avadis Tevanian, Richard
Rashid, David Golub, Jeffrey Eppinger, Jonathan Chew, William Bolosky,
David Black, and Robert Baron.

Architecture-independent virtual memory management for parallel and
distributed environments: the Mach approach, Avadis Tevanian, Jr,
December 1987, CMU-CS-88-106.

Mach kernel interface manual, Robert Baron, David Black, William
Bolosky, Jonathan Chew, Richard Draves, David Golub, Richard Rashid,
Avadis Tevanian, Jr., Michael Wayne Young, 9 September 1988.

Hope this helps someone.

karl@claude.umb.edu    ...!harvard!umb!karl

mudd-j@galley.cis.ohio-state.edu (John R. Mudd) (10/20/89)

In article <957@umb.umb.edu> karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry) writes:

>Here are the references which CMU sent me when I requested the
>license.  (I sent email to mach@cs.cmu.edu, which got to
>Lori.Iannamico@spice.cs.cmu.edu to request it). Some are technical, some
>aren't.
>
>CMU's paper address seems to be
>Computer Science Department
>Carnegie Mellon University
>Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890.

I knew I kept this around for some good reason.

... John

  John R. Mudd                                     mudd-j@cis.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Computer and Information Science,  The Ohio State University
  2036 Neil Avenue, Columbus, Ohio, USA   43210-1277

----

To: info-mach@wb1.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Mach documents available for anonymous FTP
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 89 16:12:04 EDT
From: Mary.Thompson@mrt.mach.cs.cmu.edu

The documents that define the current Mach interface have been placed in
the directory /usr/mach/public/doc on wb1.cs.cmu.edu. They can be copied
by ftp, as user anonymous, no passwd, followd by "cd /usr/mach/public/doc"
Then the usual "ls" or "get" commands will work. There is an INDEX file
to map from file names to the document title. Both plain ascii (.doc)
and postscipt (.PS) versions of the files are available.

These documents are the same ones that are sent out with Mach distribution
tapes, but are the current versions. Thus at the moment they reflect the
Mach 2.5 definitions rather than Mach 2.0.