[comp.os.mach] swapping on an NFS file

karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry) (10/18/89)

(Perhaps I should be posting this to comp.sys.next.)

Is it possible to swap on an NFS file with Mach on a NeXT machine
running 0.9? (I don't know what version of Mach it is.)

I did

mkfile 1m foo.swap

on an NFS partition (on a 386i running SunOS 4.0.1, if it matters), and
then on the NeXT said

mach_swapon /pathname/foo.swap

and it came back with

mach_swapon: mach_swapon failed: Error 0

(An illuminating error message.)

Any clues?

karl@claude.umb.edu     ...!harvard!umb!karl

king@next.com (Peter King) (10/21/89)

In article <956@umb.umb.edu> karl@umb.umb.edu (Karl Berry) writes:

>Is it possible to swap on an NFS file with Mach on a NeXT machine
>running 0.9? (I don't know what version of Mach it is.)

Yes.

>mach_swapon /pathname/foo.swap
>
>and it came back with
>
>mach_swapon: mach_swapon failed: Error 0

The 0.9 version of mach_swapon had a problem reporting errors
correctly.  There can be a number of things happening.  First, you
must be super user to run mach_swapon.  Second, the file must not be
open by any other process.  Third, you can't do a mach_swapon more
than once on a file.

Peter King
NeXT System Software