[comp.os.mach] mach sources

ross@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ross) (11/14/89)

I am also very interested in how to obtain
MACH sources, and technical documentation.
Anyone having such information, including
price information, contact me via e-mail.
Thanks.
             Mike Ross

ehwang@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Eric Hwang) (11/15/89)

Please post a summary of any significant info you receive.
If you can't, then would you at least email me?

thanks,

eric hwang (hpisoi0!ehwang | ehwang at hpisoi0.hp.com)

Rick.Rashid@CS.CMU.EDU (11/17/89)

Information about getting Mach sources can be obtained by writing to
our Mach Distribution Coordinator, Lori Iannamico.  The address is:

Mach Project
c/o Lori Iannamico
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

lli@cs.cmu.edu

paul@dy4.uucp (Paul Burry) (11/17/89)

In article <46d1a574.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> ross@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ross) writes:
>I am also very interested in how to obtain
>MACH sources, and technical documentation.
>Anyone having such information, including
>price information, contact me via e-mail.
>Thanks.
>             Mike Ross

I am also very interested in exactly this information. Please
respond via e-mail.

Paul Burry

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Paul Burry 			PHONE:  (613)-596-9911
UUCP: ...!cognos!dy4!paul	POST:	Dy4 Systems Inc., 21 Fitzgerald Road,
or    ...!cognos!dy4!seu13!paul	Nepean, Ontario, Canada K2H 9J4
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Newsgroups: comp.os.mach
Subject: Re: MACH sources
In article <46d1a574.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> ross@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ross) writes:
>I am also very interested in how to obtain
>MACH sources, and technical documentation.
>Anyone having such information, including
>price information, contact me via e-mail.
>Thanks.
>             Mike Ross

I am also very interested in exactly this information. Please
respond via e-mail.

Paul Burry

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Paul Burry 			PHONE:  (613)-596-9911
UUCP: ...!cognos!dy4!paul	POST:	Dy4 Systems Inc., 21 Fitzgerald Road,
or    ...!cognos!dy4!seu13!paul	Nepean, Ontario, Canada K2H 9J4
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Paul Burry 			PHONE:  (613)-596-9911
UUCP: ...!cognos!dy4!paul	POST:	Dy4 Systems Inc., 21 Fitzgerald Road,
or    ...!cognos!dy4!seu13!paul	Nepean, Ontario, Canada K2H 9J4

alan@mtxinu.COM (Alan Tobey) (11/19/89)

In addition to the research-in-progress distribution of Mach 2.5
you can get from CMU, starting in January you'll be able to get
a supported Mach 2.5 distribution from Mt Xinu.

Mt Xinu has been working closely with CMU to increase robustness,
finish rolling in NFS, complete the 4.3BSD/Tahoe compatibility,
etc.  We'll also be including other software: (AFS -- formerly
called "Andrew File System" -- ISIS, GNU utilities and the like).

The first distribution will be for Sun 3, VAX (except MIPS-based) and
IBM RT PC.  We expect to add other hardware platforms later in 1990.

A second release is scheduled for December, 1990.

We've also simplified the licensing.  The only precondition should be
an educational or commercial AT&T source license.  You should NOT need
a Berkeley, Sun (NFS) or Transarc (AFS) source license -- all needed for a
complete distribution from CMU.

Pricing is not decided, but we will be charging a fee similar to that for
a Berkeley distribution, plus some modest added royalties for NFS and AFS.
Included in the fee will be a minimal level of support.  We will also
offer a more comprehensive support contract to entities that want to
stay up-to-date and to have responsive help with bugs and problems.

We expect the distribution will be exportable anywhere UNIX is, though
perhaps with a short delay if our pending applications don't complete
in time for the January release.

If you'd like to be kept informed on this release, and to receive a
full information package shortly, send your name and address to

	mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com  or {uunet,ucbvax,sun}!mtxinu!mtxinu-mach

If you have questions about the content of the distribution or the
licensing requirements, call our distribution coordinator, Noele Krenkel,
at (415) 644-0146.

ross@apollo.HP.COM (Mike Ross) (11/21/89)

Several people asked me to summarize information
I received on obtaining Mach sources. Here it is:

Apparently, Mach can be obtained from two sources --
directly from CMU, and from a contractor company, Mt. Xinu.

You need a valid AT&T UNIX source license in order to get
MACH. If you are a company, a valid commercial UNIX source
license for AT&T System5.4 is $100k. I didn't ask about
university prices.

Here's the CMU contact:

Mach Project
c/o Lori Iannamico
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

lli@cs.cmu.edu

Here's the Mt. Xinu info: (disclaimer: I'm just providing info.
I have no connection with Mt. Xinu. or CMU ).

        From:  alan@mtxinu.COM (Alan Tobey)
          To:  ross@apollo.HP.COM
     Subject:  Mach Source from Mt Xinu

Mt Xinu will  be the distributor for CMU's 2.5 release of Mach in
source form.  As well as what's explicitly mentioned below, the
HP Vectra is a potential additional platform.

A generic description of what we're doing appears between the lines
below, followed by answers to any more specific questions you raised.
If you still have questions, feel free to send further e-mail to

	mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com or {uunet,ucbvax,sun}!mtxinu!mtxinu-mach

or call Alan Tobey at (415) 644-0146

In a following message, we've sent a brief questionnaire about your interest
in Mach.  If you could spend a few minutes to fill this out and send it
back to us, it would greatly help us improve our plans for meeting your Mach
needs.  If you're too busy, or would prefer to treat it like junk mail,
no hard feelings.

			MT XINU'S DISTRIBUTION OF

 			CMU MACH SOFTWARE FOR

 			SUN 3,  DEC VAX,  AND IBM RT PC

 WHAT IS BEING DISTRIBUTED?

 Mt Xinu  will distribute version 2.5 of Mach, supporting a 4.3BSD ("Berkeley
 UNIX") interface with such recent Berkeley changes as the "Tahoe" TCP/IP
 networking improvements.  Other software expected to be in the distribution
 includes NFS; X; the Andrew File System and Andrew Toolkit;  ISIS, a toolkit
 for building distributed and fault-tolerant applications;  and Camelot, a
 distributed transaction-processing system.

 WHY IS THIS COMING FROM MT XINU RATHER THAN CMU?

 Mt Xinu has a contract with Carnegie Mellon University to do the release
 engineering of Mach on the DEC VAX, Sun 3 and IBM RT PC in order to provide a
 standard, supported Mach distribution  for the research and development
 community.  Mt Xinu has been supporting 4BSD and other  system software for
 that community since 1982.

 WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE?

 The first release is scheduled for late January, 1990.

 WHAT FORM WILL THE DISTRIBUTION TAKE?

 The distribution will be in source code form.  It will be completely self-
 contained and will boot on naked hardware.  All source code will be included,
 unless license problems force some parts to be binary-only.  Mt Xinu is not
 now announcing any binary-only distributions.

 WHAT LICENSES WILL BE REQUIRED?

 Recipients of the distribution must have an AT&T source code license --
 educational or commercial, System V Release 2 or newer.  Mt Xinu intends to
 be a "one-stop source" for as much of any other  required licensing as we
 can, but other licenses -- for example, a Sun NFS source license or Andrew
 File System license -- might also be required as a precondition for all or
 some parts of the distribution.

 WHAT WILL IT COST?

 Prices haven't been set, but  we expect to charge a "reasonable" and less-
 than-commercial price that's easily affordable by universities.  The final
 price will depend in part on whether  or not the originators of parts of the
 distribution require us to collect royalties for them.

 WILL SUPPORT BE AVAILABLE?

 As part of the initial purchase, Mt Xinu will provide installation support,
 plus minimal support thereafter via e-mail.  For those wanting more extensive
 support, Mt Xinu will likely offer a yearly support contract and can provide
 consulting for specific projects.

 WILL THERE BE UPDATES?

 A second release is scheduled for December, 1990.  We may make interim
 updates available to existing customers.

 WILL OTHER HARDWARE PLATFORMS BE SUPPORTED?

 Different groups are working on Mach for the DecStation 3100 (PMAX),  Sun 4,
 Macintosh II and 80386.  We hope to include at least one of these in the
 second release, possibly replacing one or more of the original platforms.
 We're not currently considering other hardware for this distribution.

 WHAT ELSE IS MT XINU DOING WITH MACH?

 We're porting Mach to some new processors, working with other companies
 developing Mach-based products, and designing commercial Mach products of
 our own.    We expect to make  product announcements later this year.