[net.auto] Running Stop Signs - Do YOU?

hasiuk@spp2.UUCP (Lee Hasiuk) (05/22/85)

How many of you out there regularly run stop signs?  My bet is that most,
if not all of you do, most of the time!  You think I'm crazy, right?

Well, here in CA, a stop sign means that your car comes completely to rest,
behind the limit line (if present).  My guess is that this doesn't vary much
from state to state.

A complete stop means that your wheels stop turning.  There is a very
obvious feel to this, quite different than just slowing down until you're
almost stopped.

Well, I'm willing to admit that I, like 99.9999% of the other drivers that
I've seen on the road (and I've been in many different cities around the
country), don't completely stop.  I know that I do this, though, so one
_day_ I decided that I was going to really stop (behind the line, too).
One car that was following me crossed a double line, and ran a stop sign
to get away from me.  Another one drove on the sidewalk to pass me on the
right at a stop sign which he also ran.  Someone I know always stops, and
was once rear-ended.  The driver of the other car said, "I didn't expect
you to stop!"

What I want to know is: how many of you in net-land ALWAYS stop?  I don't
mean only when there's a car coming the other way, or when there's a lot of
traffic; I mean ALWAYS, COMPLETELY, BEHIND THE LINE (an infrequent mistake
is OK, but you should be cognizant of the fact that a mistake was made).

Remember, I only want to hear from those who stop.  I'll summarize if there's
interest.

Lee Hasiuk

jeepcj2a@fluke.UUCP (Dale Chaudiere) (05/29/85)

> How many of you out there regularly run stop signs?  My bet is that most,
> if not all of you do, most of the time!  You think I'm crazy, right?
>
> Well, here in CA, a stop sign means that your car comes completely to rest,
> behind the limit line (if present).  My guess is that this doesn't vary much
> from state to state.
>
> A complete stop means that your wheels stop turning.  There is a very
> obvious feel to this, quite different than just slowing down until you're
> almost stopped.

Here in WA state, making a full stop is the norm.  I would say at least 75% of
the drivers come to a full stop.  One problem with rolling stops is at 4-way
stop intersection.  The correct procedure is:

	1) Come to a full stop!
	2) See who was at the intersection first
	3) or if they got there the same time you did, who has the right-of-way
	4) let them proceed
	4) then you may go

A rolling stop gives the other drivers no indication of when you have
established yourself at the intersection.  This leads to a situation similiar
to when you meet another person head on while walking, they go left, you go
righ, etc.

Another bad situation is when making a right turn at a stop sign.  The full stop
gives you time to look left and then right for pedestrians.  The rolling stop
has got many a pedestrian.

I hope the rolling stops never get as bad here as you say they are in CA.
and they wonder why CA drivers have a bad reputation.

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (John M Sellens) (06/01/85)

In article <1035@vax1.fluke.UUCP> jeepcj2a@fluke.UUCP (Dale Chaudiere) writes:
>Here in WA state, ... the correct procedure is:
>       1) Come to a full stop!
>       2) See who was at the intersection first
>       3) or if they got there the same time you did, who has the right-of-way
> ===>  4) let them proceed
> ===>  4) then you may go

Hmm, you must have a lot of accidents at intersections ... :-)

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (06/01/85)

Lee Hasiuk writes:
> What I want to know is: how many of you in net-land ALWAYS stop?  I don't
> mean only when there's a car coming the other way, or when there's a lot of
> traffic; I mean ALWAYS, COMPLETELY, BEHIND THE LINE (an infrequent mistake
> is OK, but you should be cognizant of the fact that a mistake was made).
>
> Remember, I only want to hear from those who stop.  I'll summarize if there's
> interest.
>
> Lee Hasiuk

   Well, Lee, I try to remember to come to a complete stop every time, but I usually don't unless there is a cop in sight.  However, I always come to a comlete
stop a a few stop signs in the neighborhood were the police like to lurk in
empty parking lots or behind trees when it is time to fill the monthly quota
(Whether they really have a quota I don't know).
--
     Adrian Zannin

 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin

dhk@hp-pcd.UUCP (dhk) (06/16/85)

Here in Oregon I would say that most of the drivers, myself included, come to
a complete stop at a stop sign.   Of course, this is based on my own
observations only.

Dustin Kassman

ccs009@ucdavis.UUCP (Capt. Vandervecken) (07/18/85)

> How many of you out there regularly run stop signs?  My bet is that most,
> if not all of you do, most of the time!  You think I'm crazy, right?
>
> Well, here in CA, a stop sign means that your car comes completely to rest,
> behind the limit line (if present).  My guess is that this doesn't vary much
> from state to state.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR WALLET,WATCH AND VALUABLES ***

LET ME TELL YOU , I'm one of those saps that do stop.  I have a job part time
delivering pizza and I usually drive over 100 miles in town on a busy night,
and boy oh boy is Davis, CA a small town.  I exceed the speed limit where
I know it is no threat to anyone,( late at night there aren't many people out
or on the road) nevertheless, I always stop.  Speeding is a grey area, it
may be safe to travel 35 instead of 25 or vice versa, but stopping is
black or white, either you do or you don't.  There are several intersections
where I usually get come close to getting creamed 4 or five times a night
because people don't realize it is a two way stop ( the cross street stops
but I don't have to) and they glide on through the ole intersection and then
get irate when I honk, yell scream , swerve, shout obcenities and gesticulate
wildly that there perceptions of the traffic laws may be in error.  I can
hardly wait for the person to actually get me  one night,(maybe I wont need that
GSL afterall :-) ).  I have no sympathy for those not observant to stop.

	I used to think pizza deliverers drived poorly...untill I started
to deliver pizzas myself.  I find myself much more intent on being attentive
to whats going on around me .  Now I know how truckers feel or anyone else
who drives for a living.  If I can afford to stop ( and I get paid by commision
most of you can too.  Give it a try, its not so hard.

			-Dennis'the Road Warrior' Michaels
				@ U.C. Davis '500'

p.s. this may be California, but the signs don't say 'slow down till like its
safe or whatever' they still say 'STOP'

pps. Boy will I catch **it for that calif. joke