[comp.os.mach] Help on mach history!

cookson@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/13/90)

Hi out there.  I'm doing a little paper on the history of mach, how
it came to be, why it came to be, how it has changed etc.  I
was hoping that some kind souls out there could help me by
pointing me towards some documents or books that may be useful,
or by any personal commentary that you may wish to give (particularly
any humorous situations or bugs in the early stages).

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Please mail any info (or post if you like) to:

cookson@uwovax.uwo.ca   or
cookson@gaul.csd.uwo.ca

TTFN
Mike Cookson

clement@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Clement Pellerin) (03/13/90)

In article <5294.25fbc6e3@uwovax.uwo.ca> cookson@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>Hi out there.  I'm doing a little paper on the history of mach, how
>it came to be, why it came to be, how it has changed etc.

try:
Rashid, From RIG to Accent to Mach:  The Evolution of a Network
Operating System.  In Proc. of the ACM/IEEE Computer Society, Fall
Joint Computer Conference, ACM, Nov. 1986

Accent is a close ancestor of Mach.  It is worth considering.
You don't need to know more of RIG than what's in this paper.

There's an annotated Mach biblio. you can ftp from wb1.cs.cmu.edu
in /usr/mach/public/doc
--
news <clement
Clement Pellerin, McGill University, Montreal, Canada