[comp.os.mach] MACH on a SUN 3/80

>The problem is that Sun uses different memory management hardware
>between the '20s and the '30s, and its incompatible.

The memory management hardware they use on the '030 machines is the
memory management unit on the '030 chip; does support for that MMU (or
perhaps the 68851 PMMU) exist for Mach for other platforms?  That
wouldn't necessarily get you all the way to a 3/80 or 3/4xx port, but it
might be a start.

nawaf@im4u.osf.org (Nawaf Bitar) (04/10/90)

I have a pmap module for the 68030 and 68851 MMUs that is freely
distributable (it's actually well-commented too).  Send me mail
if you would like a copy.

Cheers, Nawaf
nawaf@osf.osf.org

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/14/90)

In article <197@trwacs.UUCP> epstein@trwacs.UUCP (Jeremy Epstein) writes:
>Mach 2.5 as delivered by CMU only supports the 68020 CPU on Sun systems.
>That means that the 3/80 (which is a 68030) will NOT work.  The problem
>is that Sun uses different memory management hardware between the '20s
>and the '30s, and its incompatible.

Excuse me for my ignorance... isn't Mach 2.5 newer than Mach 2.0? At least
I KNOW Mach 2.0 is running on one 68030 based machine, NeXT, so why 2.5
doesn't support 68030? or I'm just talking nonsenses?

--
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.