[comp.os.mach] threads

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (06/15/90)

Quick question for you mach gurus:

Is it possible to have a LAN (say a network of sun-3s running mach) function
easily as a multiprocessor? Can I create a task on one machine with threads on
other machines, either placed statically on creation or having them migrate to
the least-loaded CPU?

	Pete Clark
	Honeywell SRC
	Minneapolis, Mn

ken@gvax.cs.cornell.edu (Ken Birman) (06/15/90)

In article <76506@srcsip.UUCP> pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) writes:
>Quick question for you mach gurus:
>
>Is it possible to have a LAN (say a network of sun-3s running mach) function
>easily as a multiprocessor? Can I create a task on one machine with threads on
>other machines, either placed statically on creation or having them migrate to
>the least-loaded CPU?

My group at Cornell has a software package called ISIS that could be
used for this.  It runs under Mach and is actually included on the
Mt. Xinu Mach 2.5 tape, along with other user-supplied software
packages like Camelot.

Although ISIS is quite independent from Mach, we get funded by the
same agency (DARPA) and are gradually extending our system to integrate
well with Mach.

ISIS is a general package for building distributed applications
that dynamically reconfigure in reaction to failures and recoveries
(i.e. migrating activities from node to node), use replicated data
and execution, etc.  The current release available from Cornell is
version 2.0.  ISIS can also run on a number of other UNIX systems
and will support fairly large networks.

For information about ISIS email to the group secretary, Maureen
Robinson as reen@cs.cornell.edu, or isis@cs.cornell.edu.

Ken Birman