[comp.os.mach] Mach distribution

scherrer@mtxinu.COM (Deborah Scherrer) (08/23/89)

As Rick Rashid mentioned in a recent  posting,  mt  Xinu  is
working with Carnegie Mellon to provide a standard distribu-
tion of CMU's Mach and its related software  environment  to
the  educational  and  technical  community.   Because  this
release is funded and arranged under  a  contract  with  CMU
(and  DARPA), it is not designed to be a commercial product,
but rather a source distribution similar in scope and  pric-
ing to the Berkeley BSD releases.

The  CMU  contract  specifies  that  mt  Xinu  will  expand,
develop,  release-engineer,  and  distribute  CMU's research
version  of  Mach.   There  will  be  (at  least)  2  yearly
releases,  with  the  first  targeted for late January.  The
first release will be based on Mach  2.5  and  will  include
Sun's  NFS  (as integrated into Mach by NeXT); the 4.3/Tahoe
interface,  environment,  and  utilities;  Tahoe  TCP/IP
improvements;  and  BSD disk labels.  A subsequent distribu-
tion will most likely include support for the POSIX 1003.1
interface, as well as ANSI C support.

In addition to  Mach,  the  distribution  will  include  the
Andrew  File  System, Andrew Tool Kit, XWindows, the Camelot
transaction processing system,  Cornell's  ISIS  distributed
programming  environment,  some  FSF  utilities,  and  other
related software of interest to the research community.

The platforms to be supported on the  January  1990  release
include
            DEC Vaxes
            IBM RT PC
            Sun 3s
Additional platforms being  considered  for  later  releases
include PMAX, 386, and Mac II.

mt Xinu is working closely with Rick and  other  researchers
at  CMU  to  assure  that new features are available for the
release as soon as possible.

Although the pricing is desired to be roughly  akin  to  BSD
pricing,  there  will be required royalties to SUN and Tran-
sarc (for  AFS).   An  AT&T  source  license  will  also  be
required.   Other  licenses (Sun NFS, etc.) will (hopefully)
be bundled into mt Xinu's license,  to  make  it  simple  to
obtain the distribution.

For more information on the distribution, contact:
        mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com

werner@nikhefk.UUCP (Werner Vogels) (09/22/89)

In article <835@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) writes:
>I am sure there are people out there that can give you an "offical" answer
>The agreement between CMU and Mt Xinu is that CMU will continue to do Mach
>releases to sites that won't bother CMU once they are given a tape, i.e.
>people who know what they are doing and can handle beta software.  This
>will be done so quick changes can get out the door to researchers.  Since
>Mark A. Verber
>System Programmer, Physics Department, Ohio State University
>verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

We are a site that meets these requirements and we would be very interested
in setting up mach on a set of our sun an ibm rt workstations. Who or what
should we contact at CMU to obtain the tape(s)?

(I'm posting this to the net because I think more sites are interested).

Thanks in advance,

Werner H.P. Vogels

Software Expertise Centrum
Haagse Hogeschool, Intersector Informatica      tel: +31 70 618598
Louis Couperusplein 2-19, 2514 HP Den Haag      E-mail: ..!mcvax!nikhefk!werner
The Netherlands                                      or ..!mcvax!hhinsi!werner

scherrer@mtxinu.COM (Deborah Scherrer) (07/21/90)

As Rick Rashid mentioned in a recent posting, mt Xinu is working
with Carnegie Mellon to provide a standard distribution of CMU's Mach
and its related software environment to the educational and
technical community.   Because this release is funded and arranged
under a contract with CMU (and DARPA), it is not designed to be a
commercial product, but rather a source distribution similar in scope
to the Berkeley BSD releases.

We've done a significant amount of release-engineering and integration
of packages for the Mach environment.  The first release is based on
Mach 2.5, is bootable on naked hardware, and incorporates most of
4.3-tahoe, including the TCP/IP improvements and BSD disk labels.
Basically, this distribution provides:
	2.5 Mach kernel, with NFS & BSD-tahoe enhancements
	Transarc's AFS
	X11R4
	most of the 4.3-tahoe BSD release
	Andrew Tool Kit
	Camelot transaction processing system
	Cornell's ISIS distributed programming environment
	most of the FSF utilities
	a few other nifty things

The platforms we support include
	    Sun 3s
	    IBM RT PC
	    DEC Vaxes
The i386 platform will be available in late summer, and, subject to
licensing arrangements, the Mac II soon after that.

We are working closely with Rick and other researchers at CMU
to assure that new features are available for the release as soon as
possible.

The distribution does require an AT&T source license, but we've
managed to bundle all the other necessary licenses into one (a
neat trick...), so you don't have to hassle with Sun, Transarc,
etc.  And, yes, all but AFS and Camelot are exportable (and
we're working on those).  If you'd like more information contact:
	mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com
	415-644-0146