[comp.os.mach] What are the copyright restrictions for mach?

huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) (08/30/90)

I am interested in knowing what one must do to obtain
source for mach...  I'm scoping the feasability of
assembling a freely distributable os.  My understanding
is that bsd is freely distributable (with the usual
clauses about displaying the copyright notices), and
that with the exception of some old version 7 code
(like mem mngt, and accounting).

brad

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (09/05/90)

In article <25376@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brad Huntting) writes:
> I am interested in knowing what one must do to obtain
> source for mach...  I'm scoping the feasability of
> assembling a freely distributable os.  My understanding
> is that bsd is freely distributable (with the usual
> clauses about displaying the copyright notices), and
> that with the exception of some old version 7 code
> (like mem mngt, and accounting).

The following comments are all directed to pre-"Reno" releases
since I have not seen the latter.

Most of the BSD 4.3 distribution is restricted and subject to
AT&T licensing. All of the earlier BSD releases were subject
to AT&T licensing.

A limited part (on the order of 10% based on file count) of 4.3
has been certified as free of AT&T licensing. This part only
requires acknowledgement of its source for redistribution.

The redistributable part is archived at uunet and, I presume,
other sites.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>