[comp.os.mach] Mach on the I386

rvb@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu (Robert Baron) (10/05/90)

Let me clarify things.  The real problem here is that
CMU is not a company; it is an educational institution.
The license it has for Unix (from AT&T) is an educational
license.  This means that WE CAN NOT SELL binaries and
sources to anyone.  (We can distribute sources and binaries
to people that already have AT&T commercial or educational
source licenses.  And we actively do this.)  Berkeley is in
the same boat.  They can not sell you their binaries either.

Now if you are willing to give us or Berkeley several
hundred thousand dollars (around $200,000 I beleive) so that
we can acquire such a license, then someone could get excited
about distributing the Mach system.

So unless some company that has already paid for the rights to
distributed Unix decides to acquire and distribute Mach,  I'm
afraid there can be no mass Mach 386 distribution.  And I'd
be surprised if this company would GIVE Mach away.  If for
no other reason than, it would have to pay AT&T a royalty on
each sale.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (10/05/90)

In article <10665@pt.cs.cmu.edu> rvb@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu (Robert Baron) writes:

[...]

Will CMU have an AT&T free version of Mach within the next year?  I've
heard that Mach 3.0 will have all of the AT&T code removed.

-Mike

ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson) (10/05/90)

Supposedly CMU is working on stripping all the AT&T code out of
Mach 2.5 and shipping it as Mach 3.0 which could then be freely
distributed software.  In the Free Software Foundation's bulletin of
June 1990 they mentioned that Mach 3.0 might be available by the
beginning of the summer.  That was over 3 months ago and still no sign
of 3.0 in sight. I believe that at one time Mach 3.0 had been promised
for much earlier still. I can't understand why there has been such a
delay. It's very frustrating for net people who would just love to get
their hands on it.

--
Dan Guilderson                               ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com
Stratus Computer, Inc., Marlboro, MA, USA    #include <stddisclaimer.h>

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/05/90)

In article <10665@pt.cs.cmu.edu> rvb@natasha.mach.cs.cmu.edu (Robert Baron) writes:
>Now if you are willing to give us or Berkeley several
>hundred thousand dollars (around $200,000 I beleive) so that
>we can acquire such a license, then someone could get excited
>about distributing the Mach system.
>be surprised if this company would GIVE Mach away....

OK, so how about CMU (Carnegie Mellon University) just finish
the job and rewrite the rest of UNIX under Mach and release it
into the public domain.
And while we're talking Mach, I'd like an answer to the following
question:
  How much, if any, money that went into Mach came from United
  States tax dollars?.. either directly or indirectly, including
  NSF or other scientific forms of funding... and into Mach in ANY
  form, including graduate student funding?
The reason I ask should be obvious... here you'd have people with
386's who paid for Mach and who can't even be Beta sites.
  By the way, wouldn't the Free Software Foundation (GNU) be a
great place to distribute Free Mach?

  ... just a reminder:
		take it from the greedy and give it to the needy
--
	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu

Rick.Rashid@CS.CMU.EDU (10/06/90)

Chuck,
    I can answer your major questions as follows:

     1) CMU is in fact working to provide a freely distributable version
        of both the Mach kernel and a Unix compatible environment.  We
        are cooperating in this effort with many other groups including FSF.

     2) Mach has been primarily funded by the US Govt.  All work done by
        CMU on Mach has been distributed by CMU with no license fee and
        not even a distribution or media charge.  To the extent that we
        distribute software done by others we must abide by their
        licensing and distribution rules.
-Rick

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick) (10/07/90)

In article <RYAN.90Oct5095522@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com>
ryan@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson) writes:
)I believe that at one time Mach 3.0 had been promised
)for much earlier still. I can't understand why there has been such a
)delay. It's very frustrating for net people who would just love to get
)their hands on it.

hmmmm... why is there such a delay, CMU?

--
	Chuck Herrick				cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu