[comp.os.mach] Apology

larry@belch.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Foard) (10/10/90)

I think I must have had a little to much coffee the other day :)
All I ask is please remember the "little" guys, after all there are
more of us....

Free kernel:
 Although the kernel by itself doesn't do much, I think you could
peice together a useful OS out of all the freeware utilitys available.
Almost every critical thing is available for free except the kernel.

On a darker note:
 As soon as there is a free unix like OS, AT&T will sue for look and
feel :(

escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.043444.13850@agate.berkeley.edu> larry@belch.Berkeley.EDU (Larry Foard) writes:
> Although the kernel by itself doesn't do much, I think you could
>peice together a useful OS out of all the freeware utilitys available.

Indeed, a lot of work could be contributed by those who do not have source
licenses, if only they could get a kernel, no matter how funky.  All I
absolutely need is already available from the FSF except the kernel.

>On a darker note:
> As soon as there is a free unix like OS, AT&T will sue for look and
>feel :(

I have often wondered about this, and think there may be a precedent to keep
it from happening.

In the Winter of '87 or so I read a magazine article which described an
Air Force request for bids that specified they wanted some computers that
ran the Unix SystemV operating system.

An OS vendor other than AT&T sued over this, saying that by specifying SystemV,
the Air Force had pre-selected the vendor.  AT&T defended this (I think),
saying that any OS that satisfied the System V Interface Definition would
satisfy the Air Force's requirements.  The judge agreed.  Even though there
was no other such OS, one could, in principle, make one.

So it looks like AT&T shot themselves in the foot over that.

I do not know any more, or even remember what magazine the article was in.
It might have been Unix World.  If anyone knows what the case was, or where
I could find the magazine article, I would dearly like to know.

There is another problem.  I understand one of those fellows, Ritchey I
think, has patented the setuid bit, so one would have to license the bit
to have any security systems work as under normal unix.  I don't know how
this would interact with the case mentioned above.

--
Michael D. Crawford
Oddball Enterprises		Consulting for Apple Computer Inc.

	"This is Apple. Reality changes hourly, so your mileage may vary."
		-- chuq