[comp.os.mach] setuid bit patent

clement@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Clement Pellerin) (10/11/90)

In article <10656@goofy.Apple.COM> escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) writes:
>There is another problem.  I understand one of those fellows, Ritchey I
>think, has patented the setuid bit, so one would have to license the bit
>to have any security systems work as under normal unix.  I don't know how
>this would interact with the case mentioned above.

This patent is rather old.
How long does it take for a patent like this to expire in the states?
--
news <clement
Clement Pellerin, McGill University, Montreal, Canada

boykin@encore.com (Joseph Boykin) (10/11/90)

In article <2371@opus.cs.mcgill.ca>, clement@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Clement
Pellerin) writes:
> >There is another problem.  I understand one of those fellows, Ritchey I
> >think, has patented the setuid bit, so one would have to license the bit
> >to have any security systems work as under normal unix.
>
> This patent is rather old.

Some time ago AT&T gave up rights to this particular patent, thereby
placing the UNIX(tm) "setuid technology" in the public domain.

jb
----

Joseph Boykin
Manager, Mach OS Development
Encore Computer Corp
Treasurer, IEEE Computer Society

Internet: boykin@encore.com
Phone: 508-460-0500 x2720

chet@cwns1.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (10/12/90)

$$ escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) writes:
$$ There is another problem.  I understand one of those fellows, Ritchey I
$$ think, has patented the setuid bit, so one would have to license the bit
$$ to have any security systems work as under normal unix.  I don't know how
$$ this would interact with the case mentioned above.

and Clement Pellerin replies:
$ This patent is rather old.
$ How long does it take for a patent like this to expire in the states?

It's a non-issue, at least in this case.  AT&T officially announced long
ago that they were giving the patent up into the public domain (I forget
the correct term).

Chet
--
Chet Ramey			``As I recall, Doug was keen on boxing.  But
Network Services Group		  when he learned to walk, he took up puttin'

lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg) (10/12/90)

clement@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Clement Pellerin) writes:

>In article <10656@goofy.Apple.COM> escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) writes:
>>There is another problem.  I understand one of those fellows, Ritchey I
>>think, has patented the setuid bit, so one would have to license the bit
>>to have any security systems work as under normal unix.  I don't know how
>>this would interact with the case mentioned above.

Patent rights on this were released into the public domain (don't
know the legal term) by DMR and AT&T some years ago.
--
    Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
        {alberta,cbmvax,mips}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.athabascau.ca

      The only thing open about OSF is their mouth.  --Chuck Musciano

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (10/12/90)

In article <2371@opus.cs.mcgill.ca>, clement@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Clement Pellerin) writes:
> In article <10656@goofy.Apple.COM> escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) writes:
> >There is another problem.  I understand one of those fellows, Ritchey I
> >think, has patented the setuid bit, so one would have to license the bit
> >to have any security systems work as under normal unix.  I don't know how
> >this would interact with the case mentioned above.
>
> This patent is rather old.
> How long does it take for a patent like this to expire in the states?

It doesn't matter; the patent has been abandoned formally (the
jargon is, I believe, "dedicated to the public" and the detailed
reference has been posted many times to the net.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (10/16/90)

In article <3198@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
  It doesn't matter; the patent has been abandoned formally (the
  jargon is, I believe, "dedicated to the public" and the detailed
  reference has been posted many times to the net.

I looked into this about five years ago when Apollo started shipping systems
with setuid bits and no AT&T license.  The patent is #4,135,240, issued
January 16, 1979.  It has been "dedicated to the public."  You can get
details from AT&T's patent department, which used to be at 150 JFK Parkway,
Short Hills, NJ 07078.