[comp.os.mach] Problems with installing Mach

wbt@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Bill Thomason) (11/16/90)

I'm in the process of installing mach on a Sun 3/60 with 2 71 meg hard
drives strung off of it.

So far, I have set up the hard drive partitions properly with respect to
the way Mach expects them.  I have loaded the root, sys0, and usr0
partitions.  All of this was done while the Sun was operating as a diskless
client.  I even ran the installboot program as the instructions said.
I rebooted the machine and got the following error while it was trying to
load the kernel:

    Invalid Page Bus Error
	Vaddr: 0E08CD90, Paddr: 00000D90, Type 9, Write, FC 5,
	Size 4 @ 0x0E00407C

The only possible reason I could think of involves the file systems.  I ran
the Sun newfs, using the Mach distribtion mkfs, to create the filesystems
for the proper partitions.  I then mounted these partitions on the diskless
client and then restored the root and untarred /sys0 and /usr0 onto the
proper partitions.  I then ran the installboot program to make sure the
boot blocks were properly set up on the hard drive.

Is there a problem with the way I restored everything?  Could there be an
incompatibility problem with Mach filesystems and SunOS 4.2 filesystems?
I was told there shouldn't be.

I'm kinda dangling at the end of my rope on this one.  Anybody out there
have any suggestions or solutions?

Thanks,
-bill

epstein@trwacs.UUCP (Jeremy Epstein) (11/16/90)

In article <4979@rex.cs.tulane.edu>, wbt@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Bill Thomason) writes:

> I'm in the process of installing mach on a Sun 3/60 with 2 71 meg hard
> drives strung off of it.
>
> So far, I have set up the hard drive partitions properly with respect to
> the way Mach expects them.  I have loaded the root, sys0, and usr0
> partitions.  All of this was done while the Sun was operating as a diskless
> client.  I even ran the installboot program as the instructions said.
> I rebooted the machine and got the following error while it was trying to
> load the kernel:
>
>     Invalid Page Bus Error
> 	Vaddr: 0E08CD90, Paddr: 00000D90, Type 9, Write, FC 5,
> 	Size 4 @ 0x0E00407C

I've run into this problem also.  It seems (from the symptoms) that
it's strangeness associated with what the SunOS boot program sets
up for memory, and what /mach expects memory to be set up as.  [This
is speculation on my part, but it seems consistent with what appears
to happen.]

The solution is to go to a two or three stage boot: Bring up the
SunOS boot program, which you then use to bring up the Mach boot
program, which you then use to bring up Mach.  Trying to go directly
from the boot PROMs to Mach fails (as you're seeing).

For example, if you have a SunOS partition on xy0a and Mach on xy1a,
first type (at the ">" prompt):
	xy(0,0,0)boot -as
This will bring up the SunOS boot.  It will ask for the filesystem type
(answer 4.2) and the root device (answer xy1a).  At the "Boot:" prompt,
type:
	boot
This brings up the Mach boot program.  You can then bring up Mach by
typing
	xy(0,1,0)vmunix -as
and answering "xy1a" to the request for the root device.

I've found this procedure to work on both a 3/160 and a 3/260.

--Jeremy
--
Jeremy Epstein			UUCP: uunet!trwacs!epstein
Trusted X Research Group	Internet: epstein@trwacs.fp.trw.com