[comp.os.mach] Mach 2.5 on i386 -- HW requirements

danson@udel.edu (Douglas Anson) (11/20/90)

I read recently on the hardware requirements for Mach 2.5 on a
i386 platform.  I have a couple of questions:

1.  is an Ethernet board MANDITORY for Mach to run?  Our school has
    internet capability but I'm not sure on the availability of an
    ethernet board.

2.  Has X been modified to run on Mach i386 yet?

Thanks in Advance

Doug Anson
Univ. of Del.

ji@close.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (11/21/90)

In article <36800@nigel.ee.udel.edu> danson@udel.edu () writes:
>I read recently on the hardware requirements for Mach 2.5 on a
>i386 platform.  I have a couple of questions:
>
>1.  is an Ethernet board MANDITORY for Mach to run?  Our school has
>    internet capability but I'm not sure on the availability of an
>    ethernet board.

No, Mach will run without an ethernet board. It's just that you can't
load it without one; you have to boot with the two boot floppies and
SUP over the files. In the age of $200 ethernet controllers, I don't
see why this is a problem. There is one catch; the boot floppies you
get (at least the ones we got) had a kernel compiled only for the 3Com
3c501 controller (although mach also supports the WD8003 and the
PC-586). You'll have to borrow a 3c501 to bring it up.

>2.  Has X been modified to run on Mach i386 yet?

Yes, it runs fine, but it's monochrome-only (even on a color VGA).
The Microsoft mouse is not quite supported (I think the supported mouse is
the Logitech); we had to modify the kernel driver to fool X into thinking
it was talking to a different mouse. Everything else runs fine, including
vtwm (a must with a puny 640x480 screen).

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 8120
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027

wendy@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Wendy Wilhelm) (11/21/90)

In article <36800@nigel.ee.udel.edu> danson@udel.edu () writes:
>I read recently on the hardware requirements for Mach 2.5 on a
>i386 platform.  I have a couple of questions:
>
>2.  Has X been modified to run on Mach i386 yet?

	I don't know about X being modified, but we got it up and running
	on an Intel 302 running Mach2.5. We're using it as the Xterminal
	server. The major change (other than flags) was to create the mach.cf
	file and the "mach" types....

								Wendy

Wendy Wilhelm
Portland State University, CS dept.       	               wendy@cs.pdx.edu
PO Box 751, Portland, OR  97207         {ucbvax, uunet}!tektronix!pdxgate!wendy

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser K. Doleh) (11/23/90)

We didn't have the right ethernet card when we  got the floppies for Mach2.5
We used our VAX to SUP the binaries and sources then used the tape drive
to transfer it to the I386 machine.
Yaser Doleh   <doleh@mcs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242

rickr@bleu.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Rasmussen) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov20.183657.15800@cs.columbia.edu>, ji@close.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:

[deleted]
|> There is one catch; the boot floppies you
|> get (at least the ones we got) had a kernel compiled only for the 3Com
|> 3c501 controller (although mach also supports the WD8003 and the
|> PC-586). You'll have to borrow a 3c501 to bring it up.
[deleted]

I installed mach with a western digital card in place.  If you
are concerned about this, try mailing "machi386@cs.cmu.edu".

Rick Rasmussen
rickr@cs.wisc.edu