[comp.os.mach] Mach on `386 laptop?

oury@techbook.com (David Oury) (11/28/90)

Greetings,
  I'm interested in using Mach on a `386 laptop and have
a few questions about how and when this would be possible.
1> What are the space requirements for a stand alone
  development system with but one or two users?
2> When might the binaries, or source, be available?
3> I am assuming that a large HD hooked up via the
  serial or parallel ports would suffice to hold
  the remainder of Mach, and could be dismounted
  when not needed.  Does this make sense?
Thanks.  David Oury.
--
oury@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!oury
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

ji@cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.232900.14393@techbook.com> oury@techbook.com (David Oury) writes:

>Greetings,
>  I'm interested in using Mach on a `386 laptop and have
>a few questions about how and when this would be possible.

It is! I'm sending this message from my home Toshiba T5200/100 running
Mach 2.5p, telneted to my office machine over a 100kbps packet-radio
wireless link using the Telesystem ARLAN 450 radio interface card!!!

>1> What are the space requirements for a stand alone
>  development system with but one or two users?

For a binary-only distribution (no kernel sources), but with X11R4
installed, I have about 20M free on my 100M internal disk. Here's the
output of df:

teriyaki$ df
Filesystem    kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/hd0a      95747   67564   18608    78%    /

My home directory has about 2M of stuff, and /etc/vm/swapfile is about 6M.

>2> When might the binaries, or source, be available?

Mach is a source-only distribution from CMU. I forget what licencing
agreements you need, but they'll send you a pair of boot floppies which
you can use to SUP the sources over from CMU and compile them on your
system. The boot diskettes you get only support the 3c501 ethernet controller,
although the kernel has support for the wd8003e and the PC586 controllers
as well.

>3> I am assuming that a large HD hooked up via the
>  serial or parallel ports would suffice to hold

A disk hooked up through the serial or the parallel port?????? Is this a joke?
On the T5200 you can hook up an external floppy through the parallel port
(you flip a switch, and it no longer is a parallel port). TO hook up
an external disk, you need an expansion chassis.

>  the remainder of Mach, and could be dismounted
>  when not needed.  Does this make sense?

Or you can use NFS if you have a Sun NFS source licence. Your best bet
is to dedicate a standard 386 clone with a large (>300M) disk to be
your distribution machine, compile sources there, and then move over
the binaries you need to your laptops.

>Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks.  David Oury.
>--
>oury@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!oury
>Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257
>Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks
>Disclaimer: Just me talking, noone else.

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 8120
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027