[comp.os.mach] comp.os.osf???

georgeb@fai.UUCP (George Bosworth) (03/01/91)

Is there any newsgroup for OSF operating system news, such
as comp.os.osf?

If not, is there interest in starting one?

George

George H. Bosworth                         georgeb@fai.com    or
Fujitsu America B-2-7                      uunet!fai.com!georgeb
3055 Orchard Drive
San Jose CA 95134                          1-408/432-1300 x5033

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/02/91)

In article <193@idt.UUCP> vladan@idt.UUCP (Vladan Djakovic) writes:
>In article <2999@fai.UUCP>, georgeb@fai.UUCP (George Bosworth) writes:
>> Is there any newsgroup for OSF operating system news, such
>> as comp.os.osf?
>>
>> If not, is there interest in starting one?
>>
>comp.os.osf is sound idea. If others are interested the formal procedure should
>be started.

     I agree in principle, but the name should be comp.unix.osf.  OSF/1
is supposedly a UNIX system containing code from various sources,
including AT&T, UCB, CMU, MIT, and the OSF.  This is quite a different
case from the recently proposed Coherent group because Coherent is a
complete rewrite, i.e. a UNIX "workalike" rather than a version of UNIX.
     Actually, now that I think about it, comp.os.mach is probably
misnamed, too.  ;-)

>--
> ############################################################################
> # Vladan Djakovic, IDT (Integrated Device Technology), Santa Clara, CA     #
> #  ... uunet!idt!vladan      (All opinions are mine, etc., etc. ...)       #
> ############################################################################

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "WAR is the HEALTH of the STATE"  --Albert Jay Nock (I think:-)   *

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (03/02/91)

In article <193@idt.UUCP> vladan@idt.UUCP (Vladan Djakovic) writes:
>In article <2999@fai.UUCP>, georgeb@fai.UUCP (George Bosworth) writes:
>> Is there any newsgroup for OSF operating system news, such
>> as comp.os.osf?
>>
>comp.os.osf is sound idea. If others are interested the formal procedure should
>be started.

comp.os.osf is a bad idea at this point.   Newsgroups should be started when
traffic in a subject reaches the point in current groups that it interferes
with the operations of those groups. Today, there is little traffic in
comp.os.mach, so adding a OSF/1 specific newsgroup is a mistake.

Later, if traffic justifies it, we should start the group.

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher Kittredge
Platforms and Tools Group, BBN Software Products
10 Fawcett Street,  Cambridge, MA. 02138
617-873-3465  /  fkittred@bbn.com  /  fkittred@das.harvard.edu

lark@greylock.osf.org (Lar Kaufman) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.232013.31954@mp.cs.niu.edu>, bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu
(Scott Bennett) writes:
> In article <193@idt.UUCP> vladan@idt.UUCP (Vladan Djakovic) writes:
> >In article <2999@fai.UUCP>, georgeb@fai.UUCP (George Bosworth) writes:
> >> Is there any newsgroup for OSF operating system news, such
> >> as comp.os.osf?
> >>
> >> If not, is there interest in starting one?
> >>
> >comp.os.osf is sound idea. If others are interested the formal
procedure should
> >be started.
>
>      I agree in principle, but the name should be comp.unix.osf.  OSF/1
> is supposedly a UNIX system containing code from various sources,
> including AT&T, UCB, CMU, MIT, and the OSF.  This is quite a different
> case from the recently proposed Coherent group because Coherent is a
> complete rewrite, i.e. a UNIX "workalike" rather than a version of UNIX.
You are correct that the name should be comp.unix.osf - for now.  I understand
that the next iteration of OSF (OSF/2 ?) is to have no licensed UNIX code.

I have no objection to comp.os.osf as a name, however.  After all, the first
major anamoly in the hierarchy is that comp.unix* is not comp.os.unix*

We really need Usenet to seek permission from Unix Systems Laboratories to
put non-licensed Unix-lookalikes into comp.unix.*  - and I bet USL won't
permit it.  Perhaps we shouldn't even use the word "unix" in our hierarchical
structure at all.  Maybe comp.os.u.bsd and comp.os.u.svr would be better
starting
points... Would that mean that comp.os.coherent would have to be
comp.os.u.v7.coherent?

This is a thorny problem and it will remain so, especially as OSes try
to borrow
concepts and features from other OSes.  Where, for example, do you talk about
Posix, when VMS becomes Posix-compliant?

My suggested (short-term) solution:
 - form comp.unix.osf1 now
 - form comp.os.osf2 later.

Note that I've set follow-ups to news.groups.

-lar

Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can
(fax)   512-794-0623   outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
lark@tivoli.com        and respecting her seniority.  - E.B. White