[comp.os.mach] How to get Mach and documentation

mrt@MRT.MACH.CS.CMU.EDU (Mary Thompson) (03/19/91)

Since there have been several "how do I get Mach" quetions recently I will
once again repost the standard answers.
If you want further information or wish to begin licensing procedures
please send mail to mach@cs.cmu.edu.

				Mary Thompson
				Project Mach Distribution Manager

Documentation
-------------
There are 2 ways to obtain Mach documentation.  You can send mail to
mach@cs.cmu.edu.  Please provide your full name and surface mail address
in the message.

You can also FTP the documents.  FTP to wb1.cs.cmu.edu (128.2.250.16),
as "anonymous", then "cd /usr/mach/public/doc".  You can then use
the standard FTP commands, e.g. get, ls with relative path names for the files.
The articles are available in postscript(.ps) and ascii(.doc).  There is
an INDEX file available in that directory.

Note: Most of the published papers and thesis are not kept on-line. There
is a on-line bibliography of such papers, most of which are available from
CMU by mail. Most all of the on-line documents were written for Mach 2.5.
In general they apply to Mach 3.0, but the details may differ. A 300 page
Mach 3.0 Kernel Reference manual is available from the OSF Research Institute,
<osfri@osf.osf.org>. Last time I checked a paper copy was available for a cost
of $25.

Mach 2.5
--------
Mach 2.5 is a complete operating system that provides binary compatibility
with most Unix application programs. CMU distributes Mach 2.5 for Vaxes, Sun3
IBM/RT and some i386/i486 AT based machines. This distribution is free of
charge but the recipient must have a 4.3BSD Unix source license. The Vax and
Sun3 releases are done by tape or internet transfer, the IBM/RT release is done
by tape only, and the i386 release is only done by internet transfer.

MSD 2.6, a somewhat later and more complete release, is available for all of
these platforms from Mt Xinu, <mtxinu-mach@mtxinu.com>. Mt Xinu now has a
binary only release for i386 machines which does not require a Unix source
license.

Mach 3.0
--------
We are now distributing a research distribution of Mach 3.0.
The Mach 3.0 micro-kernel sources for the i386 and DecStation 3100
do not require any licenses. In order to get Unix kernel functionality,
the Unix-server is needed and it requires a BSD 4.3 license.

The initial distribution consists of sources only for the micro-kernel, Unix
server and some Mach programs. The Unix server provides only the
functionality of the Unix kernel. Neither the sources nor binaries are
supplied for the complete Unix operating environment. The Mach 3.0
kernel + the Unix server is compatible with Unix BSD4.3 programs, but
not with all Mach 2.5 programs.  This distribution is done only by
electronic transfer over the internet. To get the licensed parts of
the software our Mach 2.5 SUP program must be used. The unlicensed
parts are available via FTP. The system is under active
development both at CMU and OSF and all the pieces are subject to
change. Thus you should plan on doing periodic sup updates to keep
up with bug fixes, additions and other changes.

Mach 3.0 FTP
-----------
If you do not have a BSD source license you can anonymously FTP a compressed
tar file of the kernel sources for the i386 and Decstation 3100/5000 platforms.
At the moment, the makefiles that come with this release depend on the Mach
2.5/6 make program to build. This program requires a BSD source license so
we cannot release it for anonymous FTP. This limits the value of this release
to just reading the sources. It is our intent to switch to a non-licensed
version of make as soon as possible.
Note: CMU does not release Mach 2.5 for the DecStations, so unless you
are running OSF/1 you will not be able to build or use these sources.

To FTP from CMU PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
ftp cs.cmu.edu (128.2.222.173)
user: anonymous
passwd: (CR)
cd mach3

The following files are available:

default.tar.Z (1506K)	The machine independent code
i386.tar.Z (117K)	i386 specific code
mips.tar.Z (470K)	DecStation 3100/5000 specific code

At this point the normal FTP commands will work. There are several
information files in that directory which should explain things
further.

There are also FTP sites in Japan and Europe (on NORDUNET).
Send mail to mach@cs.cmu.edu if you are interested in the details.

Mach 3.0 from UUNET
------------------
To get the files from uunet use the following procedures:

The files are available in uunet!~/mach3 with the same filenames as
on CMU.

Normal uunet customers may uucp them via the normal mechanism. Non-UUNET
customers in the USA can get them by calling 1-900-GOT-SRCS and
using the login "uucp" with no password. They will be able to get the
files with the uucp command. They will be billed 40 cents per minute on their
next phone bill.

With a V.32 modem it would cost about $9 to transfer default.tar.Z
(and all long distance charges are included)

If you have any questions regarding the uunet distribution please
direct them to info@uunet.uu.net.

steve@robobar.co.uk (Steve Bleazard) (03/20/91)

mrt@MRT.MACH.CS.CMU.EDU (Mary Thompson) writes:

> At the moment, the makefiles that come with this release depend on the Mach
> 2.5/6 make program to build. This program requires a BSD source license so
> we cannot release it for anonymous FTP. This limits the value of this release
> to just reading the sources. It is our intent to switch to a non-licensed
> version of make as soon as possible.

For those interested in building Mach3.0 the modifications required to
use GNUMake 3.59 are fairly small, mostly changing from the Mach make
way of implementing a feature to the GNU way.

Steve
--
Steve.Bleazard@RoboBar.Co.Uk        | Phone:  +44 81 991 1142 x153
Snr Software Engineer, Robobar Ltd. | Fax:    +44 81 998 8343 (G3)