[comp.os.mach] Mach/386 availability

barras@sdimax2.mitre.org (Barrus) (03/20/91)

I keep seeing posts mentioning that the licensing has been freed
up on Mach 3.0, and that at least the microkernel should be
freely available for the 386.   However, I've yet to see any
mention of how to obtain it.  I contacted MtXinu, but they're
only offering a binary release, and for over $1000!
Sorry, but I'm a college student, and although I MAY be willing
to spend about one hundred, that's my absolute limit.

Also- although the BSD4.3 support is supposedly still under license,
isn't that just for the source?  I mean, can't someone put a binary
distribution of the BSD library for Mach3.0 up on the net?

Basically, what I want all this for is to have a real 32-bit BSD environment
(with gcc, gdb, etc..) to do development work for my own OS on my 386.
(MSDOS just doesn't cut it as a good environment, although I DO have
GCC for MSDOS and will resort to it if I have to)

So, if anyone could lead me in the right direction to obtaining MACH/BSD,
or some other real 32-bit Un*x for the 386, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

       - Frank

(P.S. - how much memory/diskspace will I need?  I currently only have 2 megs,
and only 25 megs of my 80 meg drive are free...)

hagan@ee.ualberta.ca (Daniel Hagan) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.142934.19689@linus.mitre.org> barras@sdimax2.mitre.org (Barrus) writes:

>I keep seeing posts mentioning that the licensing has been freed
>up on Mach 3.0, and that at least the microkernel should be
>freely available for the 386.   However, I've yet to see any
>mention of how to obtain it.  I contacted MtXinu, but they're
>only offering a binary release, and for over $1000!
>Sorry, but I'm a college student, and although I MAY be willing
>to spend about one hundred, that's my absolute limit.
>
>Also- although the BSD4.3 support is supposedly still under license,
>isn't that just for the source?  I mean, can't someone put a binary
>distribution of the BSD library for Mach3.0 up on the net?
>
>Basically, what I want all this for is to have a real 32-bit BSD environment
>(with gcc, gdb, etc..) to do development work for my own OS on my 386.
>(MSDOS just doesn't cut it as a good environment, although I DO have
>GCC for MSDOS and will resort to it if I have to)
>
>So, if anyone could lead me in the right direction to obtaining MACH/BSD,
>or some other real 32-bit Un*x for the 386, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>Thanks.
>
>       - Frank
>
>(P.S. - how much memory/diskspace will I need?  I currently only have 2 megs,
>and only 25 megs of my 80 meg drive are free...)

I fully agree with you.

ben@bucsf.bu.edu (Benjamin Cline) (03/22/91)

I not sure exactly how the licensing for BSD/unix works. Is it possible to
post the Mach binaries legally (I don't think so). Does anyone know?

	Benjamin

--
Benjamin Cline       ------------------------------ *ben@bucsf.bu.edu
700 Commonwealth Ave.|Practice: Theory that does  |  benji@mole.ai.mit.edu

webb@ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com (Bill Webb) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar20.142934.19689@linus.mitre.org>, barras@sdimax2.mitre.org (Barrus) writes:
|> (P.S. - how much memory/diskspace will I need?  I currently only have 2 megs,
|> and only 25 megs of my 80 meg drive are free...)

Well, you could conceivably run Mach with what you have, but I wouldn't
want to. I was able to boot up on a 2mb system, but it was very painful
(login took about 2 minutes and fsck started paging while checking the
disks!). It took a minute just to compile a hello world program. If you
cut out the stuff you didn't need you could just cram the standard
/bin, /etc, /lib, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, and /usr/ucb into 25mb. I think
that CMU states that you need 5mb in order to run Mach - this is
probably true if you want to run X and some of the normal tools such as
xrn and xmh. On the other hand if you are willing to just use the
console and not use X you could probably get by with 3 or 4 mb. I found
that with 3 mb the response was more reasonable, and with 4 mb it was
"normal" (I normally have 6mb on this machine).

So, I'd say you should have 4mb of memory and probably 40mb of disk
space in order to run Mach reasonably, and more if you want a modern
environment. (: I find a 486 based system with 16mb and 300mb is
comfortable :)

The above views are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.
Bill Webb (IBM AWD Palo Alto, Ca.), (415) 855-4457.
UUCP: ...!uunet!ibmsupt!webb INTERNET: webb@ibminet.awdpa.ibm.com

ed@mtxinu.COM (Ed Gould) (03/26/91)

>I not sure exactly how the licensing for BSD/unix works. Is it possible to
>post the Mach binaries legally (I don't think so). Does anyone know?

Binaries derived from AT&T-licensed sources may *not* be posted to
the net.  More than that, they can't even be shared with other
binary licensees.  For now, essentially all of the released BSD
software (except for things like the networking code that have been
released separately, with an explicit statement that they are not
licensed by AT&T) is covered by the AT&T license, whether or not
it contains actual AT&T code.  In some future release, as I understand
things, much (perhaps nearly all) of BSD will be released without
AT&T restrictions.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
ed@mtxinu.COM		    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."