[comp.os.mach] MachTen

dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dennis Glatting) (01/15/91)

could someone provide me with information about MachTen???
i'm considering it as an alternative to aux.  i am a proficient Mach
programmer and have been writing multi-tasking and multi-threaded applications
commercially for over a year.  I  find the ipc mechanisms in Mach far superior to any
other form of unix i've been exposed to.

i'm looking for a review of machTen (there was one in Unix Today!).
has anyone out there used it?  if so, then what is your opinion?
does anyone have an email address for the MachTen folks?

thank you.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM

hardiman@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul V Hardiman) (05/09/91)

There has been some interest in the COMP.SYS.MAC.SYSTEM and COMP.OS.MACH
newsgroups about the MachTen implementation of Unix for the Macintosh.
I received information on the system from Tenon Intersystems, the company
that produces it.  I've summarized the information below.  For more
detailed information, contact:

Tenon Intersystems
1123 Chapala St.
Santa Barbara, CA  93101
(805) 963-6983

I have no relationship with, nor am I a customer of, Tenon Microsystems.

MachTen is an implementation of Berkeley 4.3 BSD Reno Unix based on
Mach 2.5.  MachTen will run on any Mac from the Classic, LC, SE,
and up, provided the Mac has 2mb RAM and a 20mb hard disk.  80mb-100mb
hard disk is recommended.  The system doesn't require an MMU, but will
use it if one is installed.

MachTen stores all Unix data files in Mac form, so that Mac programs
and Unix programs can share data.  The MachTen environment allows all
Mac applications to run concurrently with Unix programs, providing
true Unix multitasking.

FEATURES

Communications:  MachTen supports communications over AppleTalk, Ethernet,
and serial lines.  It includes the full Berkeley TCP/IP suite.  It also
supports Internet routing, remote line printer access via lpr, UUCP, and
Unix-to-Unix file exchanges via the Berkeley 'R' series.

Distributed File System:  MachTen includes an implementation of Sun's
Network File System (NFS), both client and server capabilities.

Software Development:  MachTen includes SCCS, a 'C' compiler, loader,
assembler, debugger, and Make.  A complete set of libraries is provided
that allows 'C' programs access to the Mac Toolbox.

AVAILABILITY

MachTen is supposed to ship in May, 1991.

PRICES

Kernel system software:       2-user license           $ 595
                              unlimited user license   $ 835

The kernel system includes some documentation in HyperCard, and some
printed.  Full printed documentation is optional at $ 175.

Development system software:  2-user license           $ 990
                              unlimited user license   $ 1230

The development system includes some documentation in HyperCard, and
some printed.  Full printed documentation is optional at $ 225.

Upgrade from kernel license to development license is $ 395.

There is no upgrade from 2-user license to unlimited user license.

dmanning@ecs.umass.edu (Dave Manning) (05/11/91)

In article <11972@uwm.edu>, hardiman@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul V Hardiman) writes:

> There has been some interest in the COMP.SYS.MAC.SYSTEM and COMP.OS.MACH
> newsgroups about the MachTen implementation of Unix for the Macintosh.
> I received information on the system from Tenon Intersystems, the company
> that produces it.  I've summarized the information below.  For more
> detailed information, contact:
>
> Tenon Intersystems
> 1123 Chapala St.
> Santa Barbara, CA  93101
> (805) 963-6983

After reading Paul Hardiman's article on MachTen, I called Tenon and found
out a couple of other bits of information.

1) XWindows is NOT supported on the current version of MachTen, but will be
on the next release - due out in August.  New users can upgrade at that time.

2) Paul forgot to mention that the MacPlus will be supported.  The abolsolute
minimum drive needed is 20mb, but the company said a 40mb would be much
better.  With only a 20, the user would be very limited on what he or she can
do.

3) Students will receive a 10% discount from Tenon Intersystems.

4) Because MachTen stores Unix files in Mac form, one does not have to
partition the drive as with A/UX.  Also, MachTen is started by double
clicking its icon.  Other advantages of this are that no drivers for printers
or other AppleTalk devices are necessary.  MachTen runs under the Apple
system, so the drivers in the Chooser are the same.  Also, any software that
runs under Multifinder, will run under MachTen (provided you have enough RAM
for everything).

In conclusion, MachTen is a great system for people without the higher end
Macs.  It is much cheaper to buy MachTen and a Classic, then A/UX on a IIci.
Also, it seems to run all of the standard Unix goodies.  As soon as I can
come up with the money, I plan on purchasing a copy.  Then, I will be able to
see how it compares with A/UX on my IIci.

Thank you Paul Hardiman for bringing the information to this conference
group.

David M. Manning                                University of Masachusetts
Electrical Engineering, Class of '92            Amherst Campus
Internet: dmanning@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu
Bitnet:   dmanning@umaecs.bitnet
(413) 549-2804

gary@neptune.ctc.contel.com (Gary Bisaga x4219) (05/16/91)

Speaking of MachTen, is there a similar distribution for 386
machines?  By "similar" I mean primarily that you don't need
the AT&T source license to get it (the documentation Mt Xinu
sent me indicates that you need this license to get Mach from
them).  Although I would like the source, there is only a
limited pot of money ...

Gary Bisaga (gary@ctc.contel.com)

P.S. I apologize if this is the second of very similar postings
but for some reason the program told me it was only posting the

ed@mtxinu.COM (Ed Gould) (05/17/91)

>Speaking of MachTen, is there a similar distribution for 386
>machines?  By "similar" I mean primarily that you don't need
>the AT&T source license to get it (the documentation Mt Xinu
>sent me indicates that you need this license to get Mach from
>them).

There are two Mach distributions for 386 machines available
from mt Xinu.  The one you have the literature for is called
2.6 MSD, and is a complete source system requiring an AT&T
license.  There is also a binary distribution called Mach386.
No source license is required to get this distribution.

Contact Dan Potapshyn at mt Xinu (dan@mtxinu.com, 415/644-0146)
for pricing information.

--
Ed Gould			No longer formally affiliated with,
ed@mtxinu.COM			and certainly not speaking for, mt Xinu.

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."

tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) (06/18/91)

I've just received a flyer about MachTen (from Tenon Intersystems) and I'm wondering about
getting  a copy. Does anyone have any experience of this product they can share
with me?
Thanks in advance
Tony
--
Tony Cunningham, Edinburgh University Computing Service. tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk

Inspiration, move me brightly, light the song with sense and colour, hold
away despair. More than this I will not ask faced with mysteries dark and vast.

bobm@mummy.unsw.oz (Robert Marks) (06/20/91)

In article <11136@castle.ed.ac.uk>, tjc@castle.ed.ac.uk (A J Cunningham) writes:

> I've just received a flyer about MachTen (from Tenon Intersystems) and I'm wondering about
> getting  a copy. Does anyone have any experience of this product they can share
> with me?
> Thanks in advance
> Tony

I've had a copy for a couple of weeks now.  It seems a solid port of BSD4.3
to the Mac.  It is rich in comms software (uucp, TCP/IP, SMTP, Telnet, FTP,
etc), and also has a large number of utilities.  Running it on an SE/30
with 8Megs on a single benchmark of my own (150 lines of sed through a
45,000 chara document in 10 pipes) revelaed that it was the same speed as
an Apollo DN3500 and faster than a Pyramid 90x:

SE/30 with MachTen	138.0 sec
DN3500 with BSD4.3	127   sec
RS6000 with AIX3.1	79    sec
Pyramid 90x with SV2.2	168.0 sec
DN4500 with SV2.2	69.8  sec

The big lack in the "Kernel System Software" is that it doesn't include
a C compiler -- for that you need the Development System Software.
The thought occurred to me that I might be able to run NeXT binaries
(it's Mach on a 68030), but attempts to run downloaded NeXT binaries
have been unsuccessful, foiling my plans to bootstrap a GNU developer's
environment with GNUCC.

One big plus is that the entire Mac file space is available and it
is possible to launch Mac applns from MachTen -- in my case Microphone II
was successful, so you have a shell for the Mac OS (bsh and csh).

A happy customer, eagerly awaiting the Developer's upgrade,
Bob Marks
bobm@mummy.agsm.unsw.oz.au