[comp.os.mach] Q re status of Mach

jeffr@sco.COM (Jeff Radick) (06/29/91)

I know this must be a frequently asked question, but since I
haven't seen any postings which answer this question, or any
signs of a periodic "FAQ" posting (I'm a new reader of this
newsgroup), I feel I must ask.

(a) I have seen discussions of Mach 3.0 in this group.  Is it being
    made widely available, only is access limited?  Is 3.0 the
    most recent version?
(b) If it is widely available, what licensing constraints are on
    source code for Mach 3.0?  Is it free of AT&T code?  Does it
    fall into the category of "licensed, but freely distributable"
    as do other things such as the BSD networking code or the various
    GNU things?
(c) If it is freely available, how does one get it?
(d) If it is not free, but is still available for some cost or with
    some sort of licensing restrictions, how does one find out more
    about these costs and/or licensing restrictions?  To whom would I
    speak in order to probe the possibility of obtaining this code?

Thanks for any information or assistance.  I've seen this question
a number of times so I think it would be worthwhile for anyone with
an authoritative answer to post it rather than just e-mailing it to me.

Jeff Radick
Member of Technical Staff
Advanced R&D
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc
uunet!sco!jeffr or jeffr@sco.COM

mib@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Michael I Bushnell) (06/29/91)

   From: jeffr@sco.COM (Jeff Radick)
   Date: 28 Jun 91 19:54:58 GMT

   (a) I have seen discussions of Mach 3.0 in this group.  Is it being
       made widely available, only is access limited?  Is 3.0 the
       most recent version?

It is widely available, and 3.0 is the latest version.

   (b) If it is widely available, what licensing constraints are on
       source code for Mach 3.0?  Is it free of AT&T code?  Does it
       fall into the category of "licensed, but freely distributable"
       as do other things such as the BSD networking code or the various
       GNU things?

The machine independent parts,, the 386 ports, and the mips port are
free.  The HP-800 port might be free but doesn't seem to be in the
current free distribution (and I'm not sure CMU even has it yet).  The
other ports all depend on non-free device drivers or startup code or
such (vax, sun3, etc.).  Free ports would be welcome, and pieces of
those other ports are probably free.  The conditions are similar to
the BSD conditions.

   (c) If it is freely available, how does one get it?

Ftp to mach.cs.cmu.edu for the free parts.

   (d) If it is not free, but is still available for some cost or with
       some sort of licensing restrictions, how does one find out more
       about these costs and/or licensing restrictions?  To whom would I
       speak in order to probe the possibility of obtaining this code?

For the non-free parts, you need to contact CMU.  I believe Mary
Thompson (mrt@cs.cmu.edu) is the correct person to talk to.

	-mib