[comp.sys.next] press clippings Re: The NeXT machine

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

(Note that I've directed followups to comp.sys.next, please!)

In article <3246@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>"[Regarding her experience of being on the NeXT advisory board (a
>group of university officials who made suggestions regarding the
>computers functionality):] You wouldn't believe the pressure we've
>been under to give people hints about the machine.  I'm not sure i'd
>want to do this again."
>    - Barbara Morgan, director of advanced technology planning, UCB

I saw it in early July, and others in our Department saw it well
before that.  It's been almost fun, keeping the questioners wondering
(Hi, Mark! :-) with evasive answers - a lot like just before the MacII
came out.  I'm not a good one to keep a secret, either, but Jobs made
me raise my right hand and stare him in the eye and tell him I
wouldn't tell anyone else.  Seriously.  I'm glad it's out now and I
can marvel at it in public.  It's a lovely box.

>"[Regarding Steve Jobs inability (or unwillingness) to keep
>developments secret while at Apple:] At Apple, we used to joke that
>it was the only ship we knew of that leaked from the top."
>    - John Couch, former director of the Apple Lisa team

While most of the features could be guessed by an astute person simply
watching the industry trends (what can you do that's *really*
different and still call it an academic UNIX workstation?), there were
a few that nobody guessed.  They were some of the most interesting and
innovative: the optical disk, the Application Builder, the Archiver
(is that what they're calling it now?), the sound, and a few others.

This indicates to me that the leak control was fairly effective this
time around, or possibly that the probers were fairly ineffective.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
- if it GLISTENS, gobble it!!