[comp.sys.next] the text processing

gt4702b@pyr.gatech.EDU (SINGLE,THOMAS GEORGE) (10/18/88)

I am interested in learning more about the text processing/desktop
publishing available for the NeXT machine. It is wysiwig (what you see is
what you get) or more a markup language like troff.

...!gatech!pyr!gt4702

jasmerb@coil.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Roger Jasmer) (10/19/88)

In article <6597@pyr.gatech.EDU> you write:
>I am interested in learning more about the text processing/desktop
>publishing available for the NeXT machine. It is wysiwig (what you see is
>what you get) or more a markup language like troff.

This is just a wild guess, but I would tend to bet that the text processing
and desktop publishing is VERY WYSIWYG! The display is Display Postscript
and the laser printer is Postscript. It makes sense that things on the
screen are going to come out pretty much the same on paper.

The laser printer is 400 dpi (WOW). What I want to know is the screen
resolution (in dpi).

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (10/19/88)

<
<This is just a wild guess, but I would tend to bet that the text processing
<and desktop publishing is VERY WYSIWYG! The display is Display Postscript
<and the laser printer is Postscript. It makes sense that things on the
<screen are going to come out pretty much the same on paper.
<
<The laser printer is 400 dpi (WOW). What I want to know is the screen
<resolution (in dpi).

Probably both, sort of.  I mean, it probably has troff, if you'd want to
use it.  It bundles Write Now, which should be WYSIWYG.  Screen resolution
is 94 dpi.  Why not 100?  I wouldn't mind my printed output turning out
to be somewhat smaller than on screen, but I would mind it if it turned
out to be the same size as on the screen, only with stretch marks.

Also, what desktop publishing?  As far as I know, there isn't one.  Also,
I have yet to hear of a paint/draw program.

What kinds of optimizations have they done to make Display Postsript
acceptable?  How do 9 point fonts look on screen if they're not stored
as bitmaps?  Maybe in a year.  If it pans out.  And if I can get the
cash.  And if I can get a good price for my Mac II.  (I can just imagine.
Hey, want a Mac II with 5 Meg of memory for $1500?  No, $1400?  Aww.
What do you mean you're going to buy a NeXT box?  Come on!)

-Sho