[comp.sys.next] NeXT fonts, anti-aliasing

brad@cayman.COM (Brad Parker) (10/19/88)

From article <5611@blia.BLI.COM>, by mao@blia.BLI.COM (Mike Olson):
> In article <1570@cayman.COM>, brad@cayman.COM (Brad Parker) writes:
>> I suspect the 2 bits of gray scale allows them to use "gray scale fonts" which
>> give the machines more "apparent" resolution.
> i'd have thought so, too.  i saw the press release glossy distributed at the
> introduction, though, and the fonts looked pretty rough; in particular, lots
> of jaggies.  anyone know why the fonts aren't anti-aliased?

(now I'm *really* going out on a limb!)

I understand that initially there is no attempt at anti-aliasing because
display postscript does not (yet) support the concept, but that there is no
reason why is could not be added; i.e. display postscript will no doubt do
anti-aliasing in the future and anti-aliased fonts will appear.

(insert comment here from adobe about anti-aliasing in display postscript;-)
--
"What will you do when you wake up one morning to find that God's made you
blind in a beautiful person's world and all those great recepies have let you