[comp.sys.next] NeXT secrets

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

(Note that followups are directed to comp.sys.next)

In article <4021@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) writes:
>In article <157@gloom.UUCP> cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) writes:
>>In article <15478@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, 128a-3aj@e260-3b.berkeley.edu (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
>>> There's no comp.sys.next yet, so this goes here.
>>I don't suppose that you get the alt net?  they have alt.next...
>
>Not all of us get it-- we get a lot of alt groups (alt.rhode-island???)
>but not alt.next...  Most of this traffic is going to comp.misc, so I'm
>sending followup there.

OK, now that there's a comp.sys.next I'll point followups that-a-way!

>Unix ports of existing applications shouldn't be too hard, for the
>most part...

If you mean ports of existing UNIX applications, then it's a piece of
cake because Mach is 4.3BSD at the system-call level.

>...except for one little detail: NeXT's decision to not use X
>windows.  I don't know how having NeXT's own windowing system to cope
>with will slow down porting anything with an interesting interface...

The Application Builder looks more like the Mac Prototyper than
HyperTalk, though the Hyper stuff is there underneath, too.  It looks
like a lovely development environment, and folks who have fought the X
Toolkit will drool.  Also, why not write an X11 protocol interpreter
in PostScript like Sun did for X10 in NeWS?

>>> 8. Who do they REALLY intend to sell this machine to?  Come on-
>>>    Steve Jobs does not set his sights low.  And to be honest the
>>>    higher education market just doesn't strike me as that big with
>>>    the current bureaucracy.
>
>Well, Jobs isn't exactly part of the current bureaucracy, much of the
>time... although I can't imagine this machine not being in fierce
>demand about a year from now for the publishing market-- figure in a
>year, they'll have both desktop publishing applications and color
>monitors ready, and I think sufficient market demand will cause Steve
>to reconsider his "University only" policy.

The education market is hardly setting low sights for someone wanting
to see if he can make an interesting machine.  Nobody pushes machines
harder, in a wider variety of ways.  My friend in the Dance department
has been pumping me about it for months (a dry hole until a week ago
:-), similarly from Econ and Music and...  Conventional workstation
technology is appropriate for the Engineering College and the folks
they graduate, for the jobs they do.  This may be the workstation "for
the rest of them."

I'd suspect that NeXT would love to tackle other markets, once their
technology has had a little while to shake down in a very demanding,
more (dare I say it?) appreciative environment.  This cube was
designed for a specific niche market, education, and looks lovely for
lots of disciplines inside academia where workstations haven't gone
before.  After a shakedown/experiene/momentum-gaining phase, they may
be able to ramp up their manufacturing capacity to be able to handle
the commercial markets as well.  And then, maybe the home market will
be ready for them.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
I don't believe there really IS a GAS SHORTAGE..  I think it's all
 just a BIG HOAX on the part of the plastic sign salesmen--
 ..  to sell more numbers!!

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (10/20/88)

Speaking of NeXT manufacturing capacity, just what is the state/details of
those hardware production facilities?
                                           - MJB -