[comp.sys.next] Questions about NeXT Step

rburns%master@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) (10/18/88)

I was quite impressed by what I read about the NeXT user interface
and NeXT Step. I   would be interested in hearing from anyone
who has actually used the NeXT machine. How does it compare
to the Mac, MS Windows and Sun Windowing system? Is NeXT Step
really as easy to use as Hypercard?  Can the code generated by NeXT
Step be ported to computers that do not run NeXT Step?

I have also read that IBM intends to port NeXT Step to both
the 386 and IBM Risc architectures and that Jobs has no immediate plans
to license NeXT Step to vendors other than IBM. Does anyone have any idea
how soon the IBM 386 release will be available?  I personally was quite
disappointed to hear that Jobs has no plans to make NeXT Step generally
licensable. The main thing I think the market needs is a portable,
*standard*, easy to program environment with hypercard's functionality,
not another proprietary product with a limited life cycle. At least this
is where I intend to put my dollars and time.

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (10/18/88)

Wouldn't life get interesting if NeXT and IBM submitted NeXT Step to the
OSF as a candidate for the OSF Unix windowing system...

    ...ken

ahby@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (ahby) (10/19/88)

In article <17503@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>Wouldn't life get interesting if NeXT and IBM submitted NeXT Step to the
>OSF as a candidate for the OSF Unix windowing system...

Or even more interesting if they brought it to the IEEE 1003.0
committee as a possible standard user interface for Unix systems.  OSF
is not a standards organization, but the IEEE (via ANSI) is.

--
Shane P. McCarron			ATT:	+1 612 452-9522
Project Manager				UUCP:	ahby@c2s.mn.org

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (10/20/88)

Quoth ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) in <17503@gatech.edu>:
|Wouldn't life get interesting if NeXT and IBM submitted NeXT Step to the
|OSF as a candidate for the OSF Unix windowing system...

Jobs has insisted that he will >not< submit NextStep to OSF.  I don't know
for sure, but I suspect that IBM's licensing arrangement may preclude IBM
from submitting it independently.

--
  MY CURRENT FAVORITE ADVERTISING LINES:     |Tom Betz          EAA#48267
    "Look what they done to old Duke!        |ZCNY, Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

paul@unisoft.UUCP (n) (10/21/88)

Talking about "NeXT Step" in October's Unix Review on page 132 there is a
full page recruiting ad from DEC looking for X engineers, it is labeled:

		The
		next step

in large letters. Probably freak chance (and I bet they'll change it asap ...)

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell, UniSoft Corp. 6121 Hollis, Emeryville, Ca ..ucbvax!unisoft!paul
Nothing here represents the opinions of UniSoft or its employees (except me)