[comp.sys.next] Looking for a TRUE NeXT comparison

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (10/21/88)

In article <662@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

>What I would like to see here on the net is an OBJECTIVE (ha!) attempt at
>doing this.  Lets get a price on a TRUELY comperably priced system.
>By comperably, what I mean is that all features on NeXT must be present
>on the priced unit.
Not really useful, if even possible.  If I were to consider a new machine,
I'd plan on buying the features I needed now, live with the limitations, and
buy the others (large capacity storage (Hard or optical disk),DSP, A/D, Color)
later on.  A Mac ][  can be expanded to have similar hardware options, but you
end up pushing against slot limits.  NeXt is more tempting, but I had that much
cash lying about all at once I'd buy a small car outright, rather than making
payments on it.

I was really thinking about getting a Mac ][ CPU w/1M for $2221 before
Oct 7, when the Apple price increase supposedly took effect.  I could always
leave it in the box for a year, then re-sell it if I decided not to use it
because of the rumored $3K NeXt just around the corner.  I decided to just
wait, so now I guess I'll wait a little longer to see what the competition
does.

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (10/21/88)

In article <3366@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>I was really thinking about getting a Mac ][ CPU w/1M for $2221 before
>Oct 7, when the Apple price increase supposedly took effect.  I could always
>leave it in the box for a year, then re-sell it if I decided not to use it
>because of the rumored $3K NeXt just around the corner.  I decided to just
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>wait, so now I guess I'll wait a little longer to see what the competition
>does.

I have not heard these rumors! Are they from good sources? What are the details

Inquiring minds want to know!

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the end
 of everything we know."  Marvin Minsky

jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) (10/22/88)

From article <3366@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, by ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre):
> In article <662@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

	[thoughts of buying MAC II vs. NeXT]

> leave it in the box for a year, then re-sell it if I decided not to use it
> because of the rumored $3K NeXt just around the corner.  I decided to just
> wait, so now I guess I'll wait a little longer to see what the competition
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^->>>
> does.

	Ah! Another case of the infinite "After you, After you" timing problem;
applied to the real world !! My college professors would smile! ;-)>

> 					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

OB. Comment:

	Sun could probabily make a better box then NeXT by the time it comes
out, but I bet Sony will mixup NEWS w/ optical, sound, video, et al. by then!!

	Setting Sun in late 1989?

-Jim Becker

jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) (10/22/88)

in article <164@tityus.UUCP>, jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) says:
> 	Ah! Another case of the infinite "After you, After you" timing problem;
> applied to the real world !! My college professors would smile! ;-)>

You are right, but I don't think that can be applied to NeXT, at the moment
I could see buying one instead of a VaxStation 2000 to put on the network
as a graphic telnet server (a little over-simplified).  Use that for the
justification of the purpose, then play with it and see if we could use it.
Hell, a $6500 ethernet, with large monitor, 8 megs, and a 275 some meg hard
disk that has unix, plus bla bla bla, can't be all bad.  All though I really
can't see it going into a Freshman's backpack quite yet...

-Jack
 jherr%umbio@umigw.miami.edu
 "Face it, we beat ND, the refs were against us." :-)